Problems with a sutta in the Majjhima (imaaha.m and santaara.nii)

  • walpolarahula
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 16, 2007
      Hello,

      Can someone help me about a sutta in the Majjhima Nikaya ?
      It is the 2040st of the first part (PTS : 134(30)-135(26)).
      I do not find what are the words imaaha.m and santaara.nii.

      Florian.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 23, 2007
        Dear Florian,

        > imaaha.m : can this be a sandhi: ime aha.m? I do not have the text,
        > a whole sentence would be helpful.

        > santaara.nii.: PED: (p. 676) conveying to the other shore.
        Nina.

        Op 16-jul-2007, om 20:57 heeft walpolarahula het volgende geschreven:

        > Can someone help me about a sutta in the Majjhima Nikaya ?
        > It is the 2040st of the first part (PTS : 134(30)-135(26)).
        > I do not find what are the words imaaha.m and santaara.nii.

      • abhidhammika
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
          Dear Nina, Florian

          How are you?

          Nina wrote:

          "imaaha.m : can this be a sandhi: ime aha.m? I do not have the text,
          a whole sentence would be helpful."

          Yes, Nina, it is a trick of sandhi. Imaaham is to be seprated Im()
          and Aha.m. Im() will assume the case form of the noun it
          qualifies or indicates.

          Thus,

          imaaha.m panca dhamme will become ime aha.m panca dhamme.

          Imaaha.m kulla.m nissaaya will become ima.m aha.m kulla.m nissaaya.

          Both are from Majjimanikaaya.

          With regards,

          Suan Lu Zaw

          www.bodhiology.org

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 25, 2007
            Dear Suan and Florian,
            Thank you, Suan. I am glad you helped out. Florian has done so much
            for the list with all those exercises and I hoped someone would help
            him.
            Nina.
            Op 24-jul-2007, om 17:09 heeft abhidhammika het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2007

              are you suggesting that Florian is Florent Robert? I am trying to
              contact Florent through e-mail recently, but get no replies from him.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 28, 2007
                Perhaps I mixed up names. I thought of the person who is on the photo
                with you.
                Nina.
                Op 28-jul-2007, om 9:51 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007

                  thanks. I am not sure myself whether Florian is Florent. Only they can
                  clarify this mystery. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 30, 2007
                    Dear Nina and Yong,

                    No, I am not Florent Robert ( :-) ). I think he is French too : French
                    name sometimes resemble a lot. Escuse me for not having introduced me.
                    I'm Florian Yusuf Ali, I'm seventeen, and I'm from the North of
                    France. I'm a theravadin. I learn paali to be able to translate the
                    whole tipitaka (may I have the time to do so) in French and to make a
                    method to learn it in French (so far inextant), the two being free.
                    Here's my little presentation.
                    I want to thank you for your rather welcoming reaction and for your
                    answers.

                    With metta,
                    Florian

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
                      Dear Florian,
                      thank you for your introduction.
                      Since you are French you may like to contact Sébastian Billard,
                      <s.billard@...> who is translating my Abhidhamma in Daily life
                      into French.
                      Nina.
                      Op 30-jul-2007, om 20:20 heeft walpolarahula het volgende geschreven:

                      > I'm Florian Yusuf Ali, I'm seventeen, and I'm from the North of
                      > France.

                    • walpolarahula
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007

                        I already know Sébastien, thince the French community is quite little.
                        Who are you for writting over the Abhidhamma ? Are you a philologist ?

                        With metta,
                        Florian

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Dear Florian,

                          welcome, and thanks for clarifying that you are not Florent Robert.
                          You have got an interesting name, I also find your Yahoo! id
                          walpolarahula to be interesting.

                          I suppose you mean you are a Theravada Buddhist. I wish you the best
                          in your Pali study. Please send us the questions you may come across
                          in your study.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 8, 2007
                            Dear Florian,
                            No, I am a student of Buddhism, including Abhidhamma.
                            This is a link: <http://www.mediamax.com/alanweller/Hosted/>
                            Nina.
                            Op 1-aug-2007, om 21:16 heeft walpolarahula het volgende geschreven: