Re: [Pali] Abhidhammattha Sangho - Citta Summary

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2007
      Dear Gabriel,
      thank you for your post.
      I cannot answer very extensively since I will be off for a week this
      Saturday.

      Op 10-jul-2007, om 5:35 heeft Lotsawanet het volgende geschreven:

      > I find something about four types of Samadhi:
      >
      > (1) the concentration issuing in the attainment of the jhanas
      > (absorptions).
      > (2) the concentration issuing in the attainment of nana dassana
      > (extra-sensory perception).
      > (3) the concentration issuing in the attainment of satisampajanna
      > (intent
      > awareness).
      > (4) the concentration issuing in the attainment of vipassana nana
      > (penetrative insight).
      --------
      G: So could we say that jhanna in their eight levels is the first
      type of
      samaddhi?
      And the attainment of that is reached by the development of samatha?
      ------
      N: Yes.
      ----------

      G: Also, could we say that the attainment of the third and forth
      Samadhi is
      reached by the development of vipassana practice?
      Could we categorize in this way?
      ---------
      N: I remember that this was mentioned in a sutta but now I have no
      time to trace this.
      When speaking about vipassana I think of samaadhi of the eightfold
      Path that is developed with the other factors, especially right
      understanding of the eightfold Path. Then the object of samaadhi is a
      nama or rupa that appears at the present moment, such as visible
      object, seeing, sound, etc. The goal is to realize them as
      impermanent, dukkha and anattaa. Instead of emphasizing mind-control
      I would rather say that understanding is essential.
      Samaadhi is a cetasika arising with each citta but Now we see that it
      can be very different, depending on the citta it accompanies.
      Samaadhi in jhaana is different from samaadhi of the eightfold Path
      and their objects are altogether different.
      When we read in the texts about samaadhi we should be very careful
      and look at the context, and also consult the ancient commentaries so
      that we do not misunderstand its meaning.