AN2.1.4 Atapaniiya Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2007

      let us dedicate the merits accumulated for today's work to the
      continuity of the Dhamma, the Buddha's teachings of wisdom and compassion.

      A`nguttara Nikaya

      Duka Nipaata (The Book of Twos)

      Kammakara.na Vagga

      Atapaniiya Sutta

      4. "Dveme, bhikkhave, dhammaa atapaniiyaa. Katame dve? Idha,
      bhikkhave, ekaccassa kaayasucarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti
      kaayaduccarita.m; vaciisucarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti
      vaciiduccarita.m; manosucarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti
      manoduccarita.m. So 'kaayasucarita.m me kata'nti na tappati, 'akata.m
      me kaayaduccarita'nti na tappati; 'vaciisucarita.m me kata'nti na
      tappati, 'akata.m me vaciiduccarita'nti na tappati; 'manosucarita.m me
      kata'nti na tappati, 'akata.m me manoduccarita'nti na tappati. Ime
      kho, bhikkhave, dve dhammaa atapaniiyaa"ti.

      Catuttha.m.

      "Dveme, bhikkhave, dhammaa atapaniiyaa.
      two / monks / things / not causing remorse
      "Two things, O monks, (are) not causing remorse.

      * dvi (num) two.
      * bhikkhu (m) monk.
      * dhamma (m) thing.
      * atapaniiya = na tapaniiya: not causing remorse.
      - tapaniiya (pot.p of tapati) causing remorse.

      Katame dve?
      which / two
      Which two?

      * katama (adj) which?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ekaccassa kaayasucarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti
      kaayaduccarita.m;
      in this life / monks / of a certain one / wholesome deed / done / is /
      not done / is / unwholesome deed
      In this life, O monks, of a certain one, wholesome action is done,
      unwholesome action is not done;

      * idha (indec) here, now; in this world, in this life.
      * ekacca (adj) one, certain.
      * kaayasucarita = kaayassa sucarita (n) wholesome action of the body.
      - kaaya (m) body.
      - sucarita = su-carita (n) wholesome action.
      -- carita (n) action.
      * kata (pp of karoti) done, made.
      * hoti (v) verb to be.
      * akata = na kata: not done, not made.
      * kaayaduccarita = kaayassa duccarita (n) unwholesome action of the body.
      - duccarita = du-(c)-carita (n) unwholesome action.

      vaciisucarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti vaciiduccarita.m;
      wholesome speech / made / is / not made / is / unwholesome speech
      wholesome speech is made, unwholesome speech is not made;

      * vaciisucarita (n) wholesome act of speech.
      - vacii (composition form of vaco) speech.
      * vaciiduccarita (n) unwholesome act of speech.

      manosucarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti manoduccarita.m.
      wholesome thought / done / is / not done / is / unwholesome thought
      wholesome thought is conceived, unwholesome thought is not conceived.

      * manosucarita (n) wholesome act of thought.
      - manas (n) thought.
      * manoduccarita (n) unwholesome act of thought.

      So 'kaayasucarita.m me kata'nti na tappati, 'akata.m me
      kaayaduccarita'nti na tappati;
      he / wholesome deed / by me / done / is not tormented by remorse / not
      done / by me / unwholesome deed / is not tormented by remorse
      He is not tormented by remorse, (thinking ^), 'Wholesome action (is)
      done by me.'; (he) is not tormented by remorse, 'Unwholesome action
      (is) not done by me.';

      * ta (per pron) he.
      * aha.m (per pron) I.
      * tappati (v, passive) is tormented by remorse.

      ^ thinking or speaking to himself.

      'vaciisucarita.m me kata'nti na tappati, 'akata.m me
      vaciiduccarita'nti na tappati;
      wholesome speech / by me / made / is not tormented by remorse / not
      made / by me / unwholesome speech / is not tormented by remorse
      (he) is not tormented by remorse, 'Wholesome speech (is) made by me.';
      (he) is not tormented by remorse, 'Unwholesome speech (is) not made by
      me.';

      'manosucarita.m me kata'nti na tappati, 'akata.m me manoduccarita'nti
      na tappati.
      wholesome thought / by me / done / is not tormented by remorse / not
      done / by me / unwholesome thought / is not tormented by remorse
      (he) is not tormented by remorse, 'Wholesome thought is conceived by
      me.'; (he) is not tormented by remorse, 'Unwholesome thought (is) not
      conceived by me.'.

      Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve dhammaa atapaniiyaa"ti.
      these / indeed / monks / two / things / not causing remorse
      These two things, O monks, (are) indeed not causing remorse."

      * aya.m (dem pron) this.
      * kho (indec) indeed.

      Catuttha.m.
      fourth
      The fourth.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.