[Pali] AN2.1.2 Padhaana Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 43 , Jul 7, 2007
      thank you very much. I just have a few suggestions.
      --------

      These two efforts, O monks, (are) difficult to exert in the world.

      Ya~nca gihiina.m agaara.m ajjhaavasata.m
      ciivarapi.n.dapaatasenaasanagilaanapaccayabhesajjaparikkhaaraanuppadaana
      ttha.m
      padhaana.m, ya~nca agaarasmaa anagaariya.m pabbajitaana.m
      sabbuupadhipa.tinissaggattha.m padhaana.m.
      The effort of the householders inhabiting the house which (is) towards
      the offering robes, alms-food, lodging, medical aids and daily
      requisites, and the effort of those who have gone forth from home to
      the homeless state which (is) towards the renunciation of all
      attachment.

      -------

      N: inhabiting the house: inhabiting a house (for the English).

      Instead of: towards: for. 'An effort for' sounds better.

      An interesting tappurisa compound with a genetive relation (Warder Ch
      13): ciivarapi.n.dapaatasenaasanagilaanapaccayabhesajjaparikkhaara.
      parikkhaara: necessities, requisites( for the monk), namely,
      ciivarapi.n.dapaatasenaasanagilaanapaccayabhesajja:

      robes, almsfood, lodging and medicines against sickness.

      Thus, instead of 'and daily requisites', I suggest: the requisites of
      robes.... to make it one compound, a tappurisa with a genetive.

      -----------

      As to the renunciation of all attachment: upadhi is difficult to
      translate, sometimes as substratum, basis or attachment to rebirth.

      The Co mentions for sabbuupadhipa.tinissaggattha.m padhaana.m:
      sabbuupadhipa.tinissaggaaya padhaana.m.

      effort for the relinquishment of all substrates. But the sutta text
      has attha.m, for the sake of...

      The Co. explains: upadhi of khandhas, upadhi of kilesas and upadhi of
      abhisankhaara.

      N: To relinguish the khandhas, and this is at the death of an arahat
      who has no more arising of the khandhas in rebirth. To relinguish
      defilements, and this means the end of rebirth. To relinguish
      abhisankhaara: the second link of the Dependent Origination,
      conditioned by avijjaa: thus, the performance of kusala kamma,
      akusala kamma and imperturbable kamma (aruupa jhaana). The arahat
      does not perform such kamma and thus there are no condiitons for
      rebirth.

      For the translation of sabbupadhi here perhaps: the renunciation of
      all conditions for rebirth.

      *******

      Etadagga.m, bhikkhave, imesa.m dvinna.m padhaanaana.m yadida.m
      sabbuupadhipa.tinissaggattha.m padhaana.m.
      "This is better, monks, of these two efforts: namely the effort
      towards the renunciation of all attachment.

      -------

      N: agga: topmost, foremost. This is the foremost, monks....

      I like a stronger expression (instead of better), to emphasize how
      hard it is to relinguish all defilements and conditions for rebirth,
      to become an arahat. This actually is the goal of monkhood.

      The co. adds: this is the effort that goes together with vipassanaa
      and magga, the Path, leading to nibbaana.

      This sutta is an exhortation to develop vipassanaa so that one will
      be liberated from the cycle of birth and death.

      ******

    • Lotsawanet
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 24, 2007
        Dear Yong Peng.

        Thank you for your continuous attention and kindness.

        Regarding my question, it since the strictly begging related to pali canon,
        pali language and Nikaya-centrik.

        From my first email my question was simply:

        "What does the term "yogavacaro" means in pali language and pali canon?

        Also I showed a passage in the pali where it appears:

        Yogavacaro panca indriya ni avikkhepe patitthapeti..."
        (Patisambhida. 1.4.4.17.62)

        In this passage it was translated by a member as:

        "The one who courses in yoga (yogaavacaaro) causes the five senses (panca
        indriya) to be
        established in calmness/non-disturbance (avikkhepa)."

        So my question was: "Does this passage in the "pali canon" defines the term
        in the pali canon?

        Does a Bhikkhu which is coursing in yoga as mentioned above could be called
        a yogavacaro in the pali canon?

        Or the passage means someone else (not a bhikkhu or a Buddhist) that does
        this kind of practice (as the hindu yogis)?

        Then I mentioned that in Hindu the word is defined in a similar way by
        Patanjali, and in the Mahayana Buddhism too there is a definition where it
        implies someone abiding in samata and vipassana.

        Would be great if in the vast literature of pali someone well learned could
        give a direction or suggestion of reading where I can find the meaning and
        use of the word yogavacaro.

        I thank you for the list of Buddhism that you suggest, but my question here
        are strictly regarding the terms and how they are defined and related in the
        pali language.

        I am truly sorry for any confusion that maybe raised by cited other related
        terms that are used in a different context. That was just in order to show
        how this terms are not just used in the Hindu tradition but were also
        adopted by the Indian Mahayana Buddhism.

        My best wishes and regards.

        Gabriel