SV: [Pali] AN2.1.2 Padhaana Sutta (1/1)

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 43 , Jul 7, 2007
      --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> skrev:

      > Dear Ole and friends,
      >
      > today is 7 July 2007 or 07/07/07. According to some,
      > it is an
      > auspicious day. Buddhists shouldn't be
      > superstitious, but it doesn't
      > harm to make good use of such a special day, which
      > happens only once
      > every thousand years (or about 365,250 days).

      Actually every hundred years - next time vill be
      already 2107 07 07, nor 3007 07 07.

      And if we fool around with several chronologies, we
      may have it even more often.

      Gunnar

      kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
    • Lotsawanet
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 24, 2007
        Dear Yong Peng.

        Thank you for your continuous attention and kindness.

        Regarding my question, it since the strictly begging related to pali canon,
        pali language and Nikaya-centrik.

        From my first email my question was simply:

        "What does the term "yogavacaro" means in pali language and pali canon?

        Also I showed a passage in the pali where it appears:

        Yogavacaro panca indriya ni avikkhepe patitthapeti..."
        (Patisambhida. 1.4.4.17.62)

        In this passage it was translated by a member as:

        "The one who courses in yoga (yogaavacaaro) causes the five senses (panca
        indriya) to be
        established in calmness/non-disturbance (avikkhepa)."

        So my question was: "Does this passage in the "pali canon" defines the term
        in the pali canon?

        Does a Bhikkhu which is coursing in yoga as mentioned above could be called
        a yogavacaro in the pali canon?

        Or the passage means someone else (not a bhikkhu or a Buddhist) that does
        this kind of practice (as the hindu yogis)?

        Then I mentioned that in Hindu the word is defined in a similar way by
        Patanjali, and in the Mahayana Buddhism too there is a definition where it
        implies someone abiding in samata and vipassana.

        Would be great if in the vast literature of pali someone well learned could
        give a direction or suggestion of reading where I can find the meaning and
        use of the word yogavacaro.

        I thank you for the list of Buddhism that you suggest, but my question here
        are strictly regarding the terms and how they are defined and related in the
        pali language.

        I am truly sorry for any confusion that maybe raised by cited other related
        terms that are used in a different context. That was just in order to show
        how this terms are not just used in the Hindu tradition but were also
        adopted by the Indian Mahayana Buddhism.

        My best wishes and regards.

        Gabriel