AN2.1.3 Tapaniiya Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007

      let us dedicate this sutta to the Thai people, that they may find
      quickly a peaceful resolution to the ongoing social and political
      unrest in Thailand.

      A`nguttara Nikaya

      Duka Nipaata (The Book of Twos)

      Kammakara.na Vagga

      Tapaniiya Sutta

      3. "Dveme, bhikkhave, dhammaa tapaniiyaa. Katame dve? Idha, bhikkhave,
      ekaccassa kaayaduccarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti kaayasucarita.m;
      vaciiduccarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti vaciisucarita.m;
      manoduccarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti manosucarita.m. So
      'kaayaduccarita.m me kata'nti tappati, 'akata.m me kaayasucarita'nti
      tappati; 'vaciiduccarita.m me kata'nti tappati, 'akata.m me
      vaciisucarita'nti tappati; 'manoduccarita.m me kata'nti tappati ,
      'akata.m me manosucarita'nti tappati. Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve dhammaa
      tapaniiyaa"ti.

      Tatiya.m.

      "Dveme, bhikkhave, dhammaa tapaniiyaa.
      two / monks / things / causing remorse
      "Two things, O monks, (are) causing remorse.

      * dvi (num) two.
      * bhikkhu (m) monk.
      * dhamma (m) thing.
      * tapaniiya (pot.p of tapati) causing remorse.

      Katame dve?
      which / two
      Which two?

      * katama (adj) which?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ekaccassa kaayaduccarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti
      kaayasucarita.m;
      in this life / monks / of a certain one / unwholesome deed / done / is
      / not done / is / wholesome deed
      In this life, O monks, of a certain one, unwholesome action is done,
      wholesome action is not done;

      * idha (indec) here, now; in this world, in this life.
      * ekacca (adj) one, certain.
      * kaayaduccarita = kaayassa duccarita (n) unwholesome action of the body.
      - kaaya (m) body.
      - duccarita = du-(c)-carita (n) unwholesome action.
      -- carita (n) action.
      * kata (pp of karoti) done, made.
      * hoti (v) verb to be.
      * akata = na kata: not done, not made.
      * kaayasucarita = kaayassa sucarita (n) wholesome action of the body.
      - sucarita = su-carita (n) wholesome action.

      vaciiduccarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti vaciisucarita.m;
      unwholesome speech / made / is / not made / is / wholesome speech
      unwholesome speech is made, wholesome speech is not made;

      * vaciiduccarita (n) unwholesome act of speech.
      - vacii (composition form of vaco) speech.
      * vaciisucarita (n) wholesome act of speech.

      manoduccarita.m kata.m hoti, akata.m hoti manosucarita.m.
      unwholesome thought / done / is / not done / is / wholesome thought
      unwholesome thought is conceived, wholesome thought is not conceived.

      * manoduccarita (n) unwholesome act of thought.
      - manas (n) thought.
      * manosucarita (n) wholesome act of thought.

      So 'kaayaduccarita.m me kata'nti tappati, 'akata.m me
      kaayasucarita'nti tappati;
      he / unwholesome deed / by me / done / is tormented by remorse / not
      done / by me / wholesome deed / is tormented by remorse
      He is tormented by remorse, (thinking ^), 'Unwholesome action (is)
      done by me.'; (he) is tormented by remorse, 'Wholesome action (is) not
      done by me.';

      * ta (per pron) he.
      * aha.m (per pron) I.
      * tappati (v, passive) is tormented by remorse.

      ^ thinking or speaking to himself.

      'vaciiduccarita.m me kata'nti tappati, 'akata.m me vaciisucarita'nti
      tappati;
      unwholesome speech / by me / made / is tormented by remorse / not made
      / by me / wholesome speech / is tormented by remorse
      (he) is tormented by remorse, 'Unwholesome speech (is) made by me.';
      (he) is tormented by remorse, 'Wholesome speech (is) not made by me.';

      'manoduccarita.m me kata'nti tappati , 'akata.m me manosucarita'nti
      tappati.
      unwholesome thought / by me / done / is tormented by remorse / not
      done / by me / wholesome thought / is tormented by remorse
      (he) is tormented by remorse, 'Unwholesome thought is conceived by
      me.'; (he) is tormented by remorse, 'Wholesome thought (is) not
      conceived by me.'.

      Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve dhammaa tapaniiyaa"ti.
      these / indeed / monks / two / things / causing remorse
      These two things, O monks, (are) indeed causing remorse."

      * aya.m (dem pron) this.
      * kho (indec) indeed.

      Tatiya.m.
      third
      The third.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2007
        Thank you very much. I do not have many remarks, except with regard
        to the English:
        --------

        Y.P.:(he) is tormented by remorse, 'Unwholesome speech (is) made by
        me.';
        (he) is tormented by remorse, 'Wholesome speech (is) not made by me.';

        -----------

        N: instead of speech is made by me: is uttered by me.

        -------

        Dveme: Instead of two things...: there are these two things... I
        would like to translate ime: these.

        --------

        I did not get your note: * ta (per pron) he. What is that 'ta'?

        As to tapaniya: the PTS kept the idea of burning with the
        translation: sear (the conscience). Tormented is good. But seared
        with remorse is also an option. It gives the association how hot and
        burning remorse is. It depends on your preference.

        As to the Atapaniiyasutta, I have no remarks.

        ------

        I could add a story from the Commentary to this sutta that
        illustrates how kukkucca, remorse, can affect the body and makes one
        suffer also in this life. That is the lesson we learn from this sutta.

        Two brothers killed a cow and divided the flesh. The younger brother
        wanted to receive a bigger part since he had many children. The elder
        brother did not agree and killed him. This heavy kamma caused him
        great remorse, it was in his thoughts all the time and he could not
        find any rest. It badly affected his body. He could not digest his
        food so that his body became like a skeleton. Finally he died and was
        reborn in Hell.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2007

          thanks again for your corrections and suggestions, as well as the
          story from the Commentary.

          I must have overlooked * dveme = dve+ime: these two.

          * ta (per pron) he.

          Here, ta is the base-form for the personal pronoun so.