Help on ajjhaavasata.m

    Message 1 of 43 , Jul 3, 2007
      Dear Ole and friends,

      the commentary for Padhaana Sutta explains agaara.m ajjhaavasatanti
      agaare vasantaana.m.

      My study shows that ajjhaavasata.m should be a conjugation of
      ajjhaavasatar, where vasatar is derived from the root of vasati.
      However, should the word-form in the sutta be ajjhaavasatuuna.m?
      Please help. Thank you.

    • Lotsawanet
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 24, 2007
        Dear Yong Peng.

        Thank you for your continuous attention and kindness.

        Regarding my question, it since the strictly begging related to pali canon,
        pali language and Nikaya-centrik.

        From my first email my question was simply:

        "What does the term "yogavacaro" means in pali language and pali canon?

        Also I showed a passage in the pali where it appears:

        Yogavacaro panca indriya ni avikkhepe patitthapeti..."
        (Patisambhida. 1.4.4.17.62)

        In this passage it was translated by a member as:

        "The one who courses in yoga (yogaavacaaro) causes the five senses (panca
        indriya) to be
        established in calmness/non-disturbance (avikkhepa)."

        So my question was: "Does this passage in the "pali canon" defines the term
        in the pali canon?

        Does a Bhikkhu which is coursing in yoga as mentioned above could be called
        a yogavacaro in the pali canon?

        Or the passage means someone else (not a bhikkhu or a Buddhist) that does
        this kind of practice (as the hindu yogis)?

        Then I mentioned that in Hindu the word is defined in a similar way by
        Patanjali, and in the Mahayana Buddhism too there is a definition where it
        implies someone abiding in samata and vipassana.

        Would be great if in the vast literature of pali someone well learned could
        give a direction or suggestion of reading where I can find the meaning and
        use of the word yogavacaro.

        I thank you for the list of Buddhism that you suggest, but my question here
        are strictly regarding the terms and how they are defined and related in the
        pali language.

        I am truly sorry for any confusion that maybe raised by cited other related
        terms that are used in a different context. That was just in order to show
        how this terms are not just used in the Hindu tradition but were also
        adopted by the Indian Mahayana Buddhism.

        My best wishes and regards.

        Gabriel