searching for sutta

  • Sumana
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29 12:48 PM
      Can someone help with this? Ajahn Thaniya made a
      reference to a certain sutta in the current issue of
      "Inquiring Mind":

      "There's a fascinating sutta about two great friends
      who are "once-returners". One lives a household life,
      rides around in a carriage, has a wife. The other is
      celi-
      bate and lives quite an austere life. When the
      daughter
      of the celibate disciple challenges the Buddha about
      whether her father's friend who is married and lives
      the life of householder can truly be as far along the
      path as her renunciate father, the Buddha really tells
      her off. What I take from this is that one can't
      simply
      look at somebody's lifestyle to determine their level
      of
      cultivation."

      It does sound fascinating to me.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Best Wishes,
      Paul Cooney

      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
    • P G Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30 12:30 AM
        Sumana,
        **
        It is very true that one can't simply look at somebody's lifestyle to
        determine their level of cultivation, as the transformation is internal
        -- deeper than outwardly visible.

        Compare these 2 individuals :
        1.
        an affluent man who rides a chariot while constantly being aware of its
        anicca nature and simply walks away unattached and unaffected when it breaks
        down.

        2.
        a man living as a recluse but during the night keeps feeling around for his
        begging bowl to see if it's still around or stolen.

        Surely the former is better cultivated.

        The test is not what you own or don't own or whether you have
        physically relinquished worldly belongings or not. The test is whether you
        have truly dropped attachment...and mind you...attachment can come in by the
        back door...you could be attached to your relinquishment !

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30 12:56 AM
          Dear Sumana.
          The sutta: Anguttara Nikaaya III, 347 (Book of the Sixes, Ch 5, §2:
          Migasala. Purana who abstained from carnal things, is a sakadagami,
          and so is Isidatta who rejoiced with a wife.
          In this sutta is emphasized: <in whom hearing (Dhamma) has effect...>
          Even if one has attachment, if hearing Dhamma has effect ... he,
          after death sets out to excel.>
          He can realize the true nature of realities, also of defilements, and
          he can attain enlightenment.
          Nina.
          Op 29-jun-2007, om 21:48 heeft Sumana het volgende geschreven:

          > "There's a fascinating sutta about two great friends
          > who are "once-returners". One lives a household life,
          > rides around in a carriage, has a wife. The other is
          > celi-
          > bate and lives quite an austere life.

        • Gunnar Gällmo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30 4:51 AM
            --- P G Dave <pgd2507@...> skrev:

            > The test is whether you
            > have truly dropped attachment...and mind
            > you...attachment can come in by the
            > back door...you could be attached to your
            > relinquishment !

            And proud of your humility.

            Gunnar

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007