Saa pana cittassa na attano

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2007
      Pali Friends,

      The Dhammasangani Atthakatha on the conceits (maana), in explaining
      KETU,KAMYATAA CITTASSA say that it is:

      "saa pana cittassa na attano"

      which Pe Maung Tin (ed CAF Rhys Davids) translates as "And that is of
      the heart, not of a real self."
      The translation is on page 479 of DhsA.
      Often in the Suttas and Buddhism in generally, the Buddhist usage of
      "atta" would have the same meaning as "citta",
      or used in a self-reflexive sense, but here it is rather enigmatic.

      Could someone explain this enigmatic Pali sentence or phrase?

      Best wishes,

      Piya Tan

      The Minding Centre
      (The still centre in life's storm)
      Blk 644 Bukit Batok Central, #01-68 (2nd flr),
      [near Bukit Batok MRT/Interchange] Singapore 650644.
      [With open-air & multistorey CAR PARKS.]

      Minding Centre Website:
      <http://minding.centre.googlepages.com/>http://mindcentre.googlepages.com
      Dharmafarer website: http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com
      HP: 8211 0879
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
        Pali Friends,

        The question below was posted some weeks back, with no response from
        anyone. I must admit it is a difficult question.
        I would be grateful to hear any response:

        The Dhammasangani Atthakatha on the conceit (maana), in explaining

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
          Dear Piya,
          Desire for self advertisement. This is an expression concerning the
          citta. The word self in self advertisement is not to be seen as wrong
          view of self. The lobhamuulacitta citta with conceit is always
          without wrong view, di.t.thigata vippayutta. Wrong vew and conceit
          have different objects, they never go toigether.
          Citta is translated here as heart, we can think of the Thai
          expression cai.
          Nina.

          Op 30-jun-2007, om 10:09 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
            Nina,

            Regarding "The lobhamuulacitta citta with conceit is always
            without wrong view, di.t.thigata vippayutta."

            In the Suttas, we often read of moha = avijjaa as the root cause of
            suffering.
            In that case, isn't moha at the root of all unawakened states?

            That is to say, moha is also at the root of dosa and of lobha. For example,
            if I were to get angry, but later I realized it was based on a delusion that
            not done his work, when he actually had.

            Or, is moha only an aspect of avijjaa, then? I don't think the Suttas
            distinguish them.

            SECONDLY, concerning "Wrong vew and conceit have different objects, they
            never go toigether."

            Please give a few examples. Isn't conceit rooted in wrong view, one of the
            three
            primary unwholesome roots.

            Thanks again for your time. I hope you are having a good summer in the
            Nederland.

            Be well and happy always,

            Piya Tan

            On 6/30/07, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

            > Dear Piya,
            > Desire for self advertisement. This is an expression concerning the
            > citta. The word self in self advertisement is not to be seen as wrong
            > view of self. The lobhamuulacitta citta with conceit is always
            > without wrong view, di.t.thigata vippayutta. Wrong vew and conceit
            > have different objects, they never go toigether.
            > Citta is translated here as heart, we can think of the Thai
            > expression cai.
            > Nina.
            >
            > Op 30-jun-2007, om 10:09 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:
            >
            > > The Dhammasangani Atthakatha on the conceit (maana), in explaining
            > > KETU,KAMYATAA CITTASSA say that it is:
            > >
            > > "saa pana cittassa na attano"
            > >
            > > which Pe Maung Tin (ed CAF Rhys Davids) translates as "And that is of
            > > the heart, not of a real self."
            > > The translation is on page 479 of DhsA.
            > > Often in the Suttas and Buddhism in generally, the Buddhist usage of
            > > "atta" would have the same meaning as "citta",
            > > or used in a self-reflexive sense, but here it is rather enigmatic.

            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644
            Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
              Dear Piya,
              I am glad you bring this up.
              Moha is different from wrong view, di.t.thi.
              As you say, the root moha is present with every akusala citta. It is
              the same as avijjaa. It is the opposite of vijjaa, understanding.
              Moha conceals the danger of akusala. It is darkness, concealing what
              is akusala and what is kusala.
              Lobha, dosa and moha are the three unwholesome roots for the
              different types of akusala cittas.

              Wrong view, di.t.thi is a wrong interpretation of realities. It takes
              them for permanent and self. Di.t.thi is different from moha and it
              is not a root, muula. Moha conditions wrong view and accompanies it,
              but moha and di.t.thi are different realities. Moha is ignorant of
              the true nature of realities but it has no view about them, whereas
              di.t.thi has wrong view about them, it is a twisted view. Di.t.thi
              arises only with lobha-muulacitta, with four types of the eight
              types. There is also clinging when there is wrong view.
              Conceit, maana, is clinging to the importance of 'oneself'. This may
              arise when one compares oneself with others, but also when there is
              no comparing.
              There is moha, ignorance, with maana, but there is no di.t.thi at the
              same time. Maana, when it arises, does so with the types of lobha-
              muulacittas that are without wrong view.

              When the word 'self' is used in self-advertisement this is expressed
              in common language (vohaara). That is why it was said: <saa pana
              cittassa na attano>.This was added so that people would not be misled
              by the word self. Conceit pertains to the citta, one clings to the
              importance of 'one's' citta. There is no wrong view of self. The
              Sotaapanna has eradicated wrong view, but he still has conceit. Only
              the arahat has eradicated conceit.
              Thanks for asking about the summer here: rainy, but behind the clouds
              is always the sun.
              Nina.
              Op 1-jul-2007, om 11:45 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
                Thanks again, Nina.

                I discovered that the phrase in question (saa pana cittassa, na attano) is
                found, besides
                at DhsA 372, but also at Nm (Mahaniddesa) 1:212. At VbhA it appears as saa
                pana
                cittassa, na sattassaati. As you say this is a matter of language levels.

                Metta,

                Piya Tan

                On 7/2/07, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

                > Dear Piya,
                > I am glad you bring this up.
                > Moha is different from wrong view, di.t.thi.
                > As you say, the root moha is present with every akusala citta. It is
                > the same as avijjaa. It is the opposite of vijjaa, understanding.
                > Moha conceals the danger of akusala. It is darkness, concealing what
                > is akusala and what is kusala.
                > Lobha, dosa and moha are the three unwholesome roots for the
                > different types of akusala cittas.
                >
                > Wrong view, di.t.thi is a wrong interpretation of realities. It takes
                > them for permanent and self. Di.t.thi is different from moha and it
                > is not a root, muula. Moha conditions wrong view and accompanies it,
                > but moha and di.t.thi are different realities. Moha is ignorant of
                > the true nature of realities but it has no view about them, whereas
                > di.t.thi has wrong view about them, it is a twisted view. Di.t.thi
                > arises only with lobha-muulacitta, with four types of the eight
                > types. There is also clinging when there is wrong view.
                > Conceit, maana, is clinging to the importance of 'oneself'. This may
                > arise when one compares oneself with others, but also when there is
                > no comparing.
                > There is moha, ignorance, with maana, but there is no di.t.thi at the
                > same time. Maana, when it arises, does so with the types of lobha-
                > muulacittas that are without wrong view.
                >
                > When the word 'self' is used in self-advertisement this is expressed
                > in common language (vohaara). That is why it was said: <saa pana
                > cittassa na attano>.This was added so that people would not be misled
                > by the word self. Conceit pertains to the citta, one clings to the
                > importance of 'one's' citta. There is no wrong view of self. The
                > Sotaapanna has eradicated wrong view, but he still has conceit. Only
                > the arahat has eradicated conceit.
                > Thanks for asking about the summer here: rainy, but behind the clouds
                > is always the sun.
                > Nina.
                > Op 1-jul-2007, om 11:45 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:
                >
                > > Or, is moha only an aspect of avijjaa, then? I don't think the Suttas
                > > distinguish them.
                > >
                > > SECONDLY, concerning "Wrong vew and conceit have different objects,
                > > they
                > > never go toigether."
                > >
                > > Please give a few examples. Isn't conceit rooted in wrong view, one
                > > of the
                > > three
                > > primary unwholesome roots.
                > >
                > > Thanks again for your time. I hope you are having a good summer in the
                > > Nederland.

                The Minding Centre
                Singapore 650644
                Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

              • johnny pruitt
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Dear Nina
                  What object does wrong view take and what object does conceit take.
                  Thanks johnny

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Dear Johnny,

                    Op 4-jul-2007, om 18:18 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

                    > What object does wrong view take and what object does conceit take.
                    -------------
                    N: These two akusala cetasikas take many kinds of objects but they
                    are different. I shall clarify this with examples, quoting from my
                    'Cetasikas' you find on Rob K's web, where you can find details in Ch
                    18, wrong view and Ch 19 Conceit.

                    <http://www.vipassana.info/cetasikas19.html>
                    ------------

                    N: There are many kinds of wrong views and they are of different
                    degrees. There kinds of wrong view are unwholesome courses of action,
                    akusala kamma patha, through the mind, and these are capable of
                    causing an unhappy rebirth. They are the following three views:

                    1) There is no result of kamma (natthika-ditthi)
                    2) There are no causes (in happening, ahetuka-ditthi)
                    3) There is no such thing as kamma ( akiriya-ditthi)

                    Although these three views are distinct from each other, they are
                    nevertheless related. When one does not see kamma as cause one does
                    not see its result either, and when one does not see the result of
                    kamma, one does not see kamma as cause either ...

                    There are many other kinds of wrong views and, although they
                    are not akusala kamma patha, they are still dangerous. The scriptures
                    often refer to the eternalistic view and to the annihilationistic
                    view. Eternalism is the belief that there is a "self" who is
                    permanent. Annihilationism is the belief that there is a "self" who
                    will be annihilated after death. There is also a "semi-eternalistic
                    view": one holds that some phenomena are eternal while others are
                    not. One may sometimes cling to the eternalistic view and sometimes
                    to the annihilistic view.

                    In the Brahma-jala-sutta ("The All-Embracing Net of Views" 1,
                    The Dialogues of the Buddha I, no, 1) sixty-two kinds of Wrong view
                    are mentioned. Of these there are eighteen speculative theories
                    concerning the past, and forty-four concerning the future. There are
                    speculative theories about the world being finite or infinite, about
                    the origin of the " soul" or the world. There are speculations about
                    good and evil and about nibbana.

                    "Personality-belief" or "sakkaya-ditthi" is a basis for many kinds of
                    wrong views.
                    There are four kinds of the wrong view of personality-belief,
                    sakkaya-ditthi, concerning each of the five khandhas, thus, there
                    are twenty kinds of this wrong view in all (1 Dhammasangani, 1003).
                    One may take each of the khandhas for self, regard the self as
                    possessing them, the khandhas as being in the self or the self as
                    being contained in the khandhas.
                    One may cling with wrong view to the idea of "I see", "my body",
                    "my will". But they are only khandhas, conditioned elements which
                    arise and fall away.
                    -----------
                    Conceit: We read in the Dhammasangani (1116) :

                    What is the Fetter of conceit?
                    Conceit at the thought "I am the better man" conceit at the
                    thought "I am as good (as they)"; conceit at the thought "I am
                    lowly"- all such sort of conceit, overweening conceitedness,
                    loftiness, haughtiness, flaunting a flag, assumption, desire of the
                    heart for self-advertisement- this is called conceit.

                    Even when we do not compare ourselves with someone else we may find
                    ourselves important and then there is conceit. Conceit always goes
                    together with attachment, with clinging. It can arise with the four
                    types of lobha-mula-citta which are not accompanied
                    by wrong view. Conceit and wrong view are different realities which
                    do not arise at the same time. When one takes a reality for permanent
                    or for self there is wrong view and there cannot be at the same time
                    conceit, which is pride or self-assertion. This does not mean that
                    there is conceit every time lobha-mula-citta without wrong view
                    arises. Lobha-mula-citta without wrong view may sometimes be
                    accompanied by conceit, sometimes not.

                    The Book of Analysis (Vibhanga, Chapter 17, 832) gives a very
                    revealing list of the objects on account of which pride and
                    conceit can arise (2 Pride is the translation of "mada", which
                    literally means intoxication. In 843, 844, the same list of objects
                    is mentioned as being objects for pride (mada) and
                    conceit. In 845 pride is defined in the same way as conceit.):

                    Pride of birth; pride of clan; pride of health: pride of youth;
                    pride of life; pride of gain; pride of being honoured; pride of being
                    respected; pride of prominence; pride of having adherents; pride of
                    wealth; pride of appearance; pride of erudition; pride of
                    intelligence: pride of being a knowledgeable authority; pride of
                    being (a regular) alms collector; pride of being not despised; pride
                    of posture (bearing); pride of accomplishment; pride of popularity:
                    pride of being moral; pride of jhana; pride of dexterity: pride of
                    being tall; pride of (bodily) proportion; pride of form; pride of
                    (bodily) perfection...

                    All these objects can be a source of intoxication and conceit and we
                    should consider them in daily life, that is why they are enumerated.
                    Conceit can arise on account of each of the objects which are
                    experienced through the senses. When we experience a pleasant object
                    through one of the senses we may have conceit because of that; we may
                    think ourselves superior in comparison with someone else who did not
                    receive such a pleasant object. At that moment we forget that the
                    experience of pleasant objects through the senses is only vipaka,
                    conditioned by kamma. Thus, there is no reason to be proud of a
                    pleasant experience. But ignorance covers up the truth, it conditions
                    the arising of all sorts of akusala dhammas. Conceit can arise not
                    only on account of the objects experienced through the senses, but
                    also on account of the senses themselves. When we see someone who is
                    blind there may be pride on account of our eyesense.

                    One may be proud because of one's birth, because of the family
                    into which one is born. Or conceit may arise on account of the race
                    one belongs to, on account of one's nationality or the colour of
                    one's skin. Some people may find the colour of their skin better that
                    the colour of someone else's skin. That is conceit. Conceit may also
                    arise because of beauty, possessions, rank or work. Or because of
                    one's skills, knowledge, education or wisdom. There may be the wish
                    to "advertise" oneself because of these things. We like to be
                    honoured and praised and the worst thing which can happen to us is to
                    be forgotten, to be overlooked. We think of ourselves as "somebody"
                    and we do not want to be treated as "nobody". Our actions, speech and
                    thoughts are often motivated
                    by an idea of competition; we may not want other people to be better
                    than we are, even with regard to kusala and right understanding. >

                    Perhaps these examples make it clear that wrong view and conceit are
                    different.