Suttanta

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
      In the 2nd book of the Abhidhammapitaka called the Vibbhan.ga their is mention of two methods of enumeration; the Suttanta method and the Abhidhamma method.
      The word Suttanta seems to be composed of two words Sutta and Anta. when put together their meaning seems to be the "end of the sutta". Is this correct and what does this mean?.

      Mettacittena
      Johnny

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
        Dear Johnny,

        I believe suttanta = suttan-ta > sutta.m + ta (or taa?)

        However, I can be wrong.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johnny pruitt wrote:

        The word Suttanta seems to be composed of two words Sutta and Anta.
        when put together their meaning seems to be the "end of the sutta". Is
        this correct and what does this mean?.
      • Ole Holten Pind
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007

          suttanta is derived from sutta + anta. anta "end" apparently functions as a
          semantically neutral suffix, cf. kammanta "action, act," from kamma + anta.
          In the Pali canon sutta denotes the Patimokkha, unlike the suttantas viz.
          the doctrinal parts of the canon. This distinction is corroborated in by
          the canon itself.

          Regards,
          Ole Holten Pind

          _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 21, 2007
              Dear Ole,
              I find this very interesting. If you have time could you mention
              where we can find this distinction? Thank you.
              Nina.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 21, 2007
                Dear Nina and Pali group
                What is the difference between the suttanta method of enumeration and the abhidhamma method of enumeration.

                Mettacittena
                Johnny Pruitt

                Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Ole,

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                  _____

                  Fra: Pa

                  Dear Nina,

                  You find sutta mentioned as a literary category e.g. at Majjhima I 133:
                  sutta.m, geyya.m, veyyaakara.na.m, gaatha.m, udaana.m, itivuttaka.m,
                  jaataka.m, abbhutadhamma.m, vedalla.m.

                  Ole Holten Pind

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                    Dear Ole,
                    thank you very much. How is the connection with the Patimokkha?
                    Nina.
                    Op 22-jun-2007, om 15:38 heeft Ole Holten Pind het volgende geschreven:

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                      Patimokkha is the only sutta style text in the Pali canon, cf., for
                      instance, the first paacittiya sutta sampajaanamusaavaade paacittiyan ti

                      Ole Holten Pind

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                        Dear Ole,
                        thank you very much. I shall study this text,
                        Nina.
                        Op 22-jun-2007, om 17:06 heeft Ole Holten Pind het volgende geschreven:

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 23, 2007
                          Dear Johnny,
                          In the Suttanta we read that the Buddha explained the Dhamma to
                          different people at different places and adapted his way of
                          explanation to the dispositions of people. He spoke about persons,
                          living beings. Through the Abhidhamma we learn that what we call a
                          person or being are mental phenomena and physical phenomena which are
                          non-self.
                          We read in the 'Expositor' (the Co. to the Dhammasangani, the first
                          book of the Abhidhamma), p. 3,4 that Abhi is used in the sense of
                          preponderance and distinction.
                          Also in the Suttanta there is the teaching of Abhidhamma, such as the
                          teaching about the khandhas, the elements, the aayatanas, but in the
                          Abhidhamma these are classified in more detail. Also in the Suttanta
                          the Buddha taught about kamma and vipaaka, but in the Abhidhamma
                          these are taught in more detail. We learn about all the different
                          kinds of volition and about all the different kinds of vipaakacitta.
                          We learn about all the different cetasikas that acompany citta. We
                          learn about the twentyfour classes of conditions by which phenomena
                          are related to each other.
                          In the Suttanta the Buddha taught about the Paticca Samuppada, but
                          when we apply the twentyfour conditions to this teaching, we gain a
                          deeper understanding of the links of the Paticca Samuppada, and of
                          the ways by which each link condiitons the following link.
                          In the Suttanta we receive strong reminders in brief to cultivate
                          kusala, avoid akusala and purify the mind. Such impressive reminders
                          are most helpful. If we, next to the Suttanta also study the
                          Abhidhamma we receive great support so that we come to know exactly
                          what kusala is and what akusala. We also learn that what we used to
                          take for kusala and noble conduct is in fact often akusala. We learn
                          about the deep underlying motives of our actions and speech. We learn
                          what we did not know before.
                          When a person speaks harsh words to us we are likely to blame the
                          other person as the cause of our unhappiness. Through the Abhidhamma
                          we learn about the real causes of the events of life. Hearing an
                          unpleasant sound is vipaakacitta, the result of kamma performed in
                          the past. Unhappy feeling is akusala, and this arises due to the
                          latent tendency of dosa that has been accumulated. Thus, when we
                          apply the Abhidhamma we do not blame others but we know that we
                          ourselves are at fault.
                          The teaching of the Vinaya, Suttanta and Abhidhamma is one teaching
                          and we can profit from each part of the teachings, we need them all.
                          This does not mean that everybody should study the whole of the
                          Abhidhamma, but a basic understanding of some details is most
                          helpful. It helps us to gain more understanding of the deep meaning
                          of the Suttanta.

                          Johnny, your question deserves a more extensive answer, but I am just
                          going on a trip.
                          Nina.
                          Op 22-jun-2007, om 2:13 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

                          > What is the difference between the suttanta method of enumeration
                          > and the abhidhamma method of enumeration.

                        • phanlaichen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                            Dear Ole Holten Pind,

                            Could you please substantiate your clarification regarding
                            Patimokkha and suttantas by quoting the canonical source/ reference.
                            With thoughts of metta,

                            Phanlaichen

                            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ole Holten Pind" <oleholtenpind@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Dear friends,
                            >
                            > suttanta is derived from sutta + anta. anta "end" apparently
                            functions as a
                            > semantically neutral suffix, cf. kammanta "action, act," from
                            kamma + anta.
                            > In the Pali canon sutta denotes the Patimokkha, unlike the
                            suttantas viz.
                            > the doctrinal parts of the canon. This distinction is
                            corroborated in by
                            > the canon itself.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Ole Holten Pind
                            >
                            > _____

                            Ong Yong

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                              Dear Phanlaichen,

                              suttanta is not used very often in the canonical literature. It occurs e.g.
                              at A I 60, II 147, S II 267. You also find it in the Vinaya e.g. Vin I 140,
                              III 150, IV 344. There is no doubt that suttanta denotes texts like those
                              included in the first pitaka. sutta denotes the patimokkha. It is the first
                              literary category mentioned in the lists of types of text included in the
                              canon itself. For references, cf. my mail to Nina van Gorkom.

                              Ole Holten Pind

                              _____

                              Pind" <oleholtenpind@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Dear friends,
                              >
                              > suttanta is derived from sutta + anta. anta "end" apparently
                              functions as a
                              > semantically neutral suffix, cf. kammanta "action, act," from
                              kamma + anta.
                              > In the Pali canon sutta denotes the Patimokkha, unlike the
                              suttantas viz.
                              > the doctrinal parts of the canon. This distinction is
                              corroborated in by
                              > the canon itself.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Ole Holten Pind
                              >
                              > _____
                              >
                              > Fra: Pali@yahoogroups. <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> com
                              > I believe suttanta = suttan-ta > sutta.m + ta (or taa?)
                              >
                              > However, I can be wrong.
                              >
                              > metta,
                              > Yong Peng.
                              >
                              > --- In Pali@yahoogroups. <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> com,
                              johnny pruitt
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > The word Suttanta seems to be composed of two words Sutta and Anta.
                              > when put together their meaning seems to be the "end of the
                              sutta". Is
                              > this correct and what does this mean?.

                            • mahasacham
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 4 9:03 AM
                                \Thanks nina for your answer on the abhidhamma enumeration

                                mettacittena