numbering systems

  • Dipa
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 16, 2007
      Can someone tell me how to find the quote below using the Samyutta Nikaya translation by Bhikkhu Bodhi? I assume the roman numeral one below means the Devatasamyutta and the 48 verse 48. When I turn to that page I don't find this quote.

      thanks,
      Dipa

      Even when obstacles crowd in,
      the path to Nibbana can be won
      by those who establish mindfulness
      and bring to perfection equipoise.

      Samyutta Nikaya I, 48

      http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

      Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN 3.65

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 16, 2007
        Dear Dipa,

        you are right. The reference actually refers to PTS's Samyutta Nikaya
        volume I page 48.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dipa wrote:

        Can someone tell me how to find the quote below using the Samyutta
        Nikaya translation by Bhikkhu Bodhi? I assume the roman numeral one
        below means the Devatasamyutta and the 48 verse 48. When I turn to
        that page I don't find this quote.

        > Samyutta Nikaya I, 48
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17, 2007
          Dear Dipa,

          No, the roman numeral I doesn't mean Samyutta 1 (Devata), but rather,
          as Yong Peng, points out volume I of the PTS recension of the text,
          and the 48 refers to the quote being somewhere on page 48.

          It appears that the verse you are asking about is the one on the end
          of the page that is in Pali:
          Sambaadhe vaapi vindanti (pa~ncaalaca.n.daati bhagavaa),
          Dhamma.m nibbaanapattiyaa;
          Ye sati.m paccalattha.msu,
          Sammaa te susamaahitaa ti.
          This is in the Devaputta Samyutta, sutta 7, and would be numbered by
          some as SN 2.7

          This verse appears in Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta translation on page
          143, and note that here he shows the PTS volume page numbers in square
          brackets; this verse appears just before [49].

          BB's rendering is:
          "Even in the midst of confinement they find it,
          [O Pa~ncaala.n.da," said the Blessed One,]
          "The Dhamma for the attainment of Nibbna -
          Those who have acquired mindfulness,
          Those perfectly well concentrated."

          With metta,
          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2007
            Thanks John,
            I tried to find the Pali word that Bhikkhu Bodhi translates as well concentrated. I am guessing it is either: vindanti or paccalattha.msu.
            I can't find a definition for either of these words in a dictionary. Is there a dictionary with these words defined?

            The translation from Pariyatti is equipoise and BB has well concentrated. As a reminder I am referring to SN 2.7

            thanks,
            Dipa

            John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote: Dear Dipa,

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2007
              Dear Dipa

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dipa <dipaeightprecepter@...> wrote:
              > I tried to find the Pali word that Bhikkhu Bodhi translates as well
              concentrated.

              The word that BB translates as well concentrated is susamaahitaa -
              from prefix su- meaning good or well and samaahita meaning settled,
              composed, concentrated. See
              http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.3:1:3435.pali

              > I am guessing it is either: vindanti or paccalattha.msu.
              > I can't find a definition for either of these words in a dictionary.
              Is there a dictionary with these words defined?

              Ah, yes, it is not always easy looking up Pali words in the
              dictionary! First you have to try and separate out the inflected
              ending. In the case of vindanti, experience would make one assume
              that this is a 3rd person plural present indicative verb ending, and
              thus one finds it in the dictionary under it's singular form - vindati
              ("to know, to find"). See
              http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.3:1:1657.pali

              The next one, paccalattha.msu, is a little more difficult. Again,
              first separate out the inflected ending, which appears to be -a.msu in
              this case, a form of 3rd person plural preterite tense. Also,
              experience has shown me that the prefix pa.ti- often is changed to
              pacca- (I'm not sure why this happens or if there is any rule as to
              when this change is made - perhaps somehow more knowledgable on the
              list can help). Anyway, so now one can look up verbs starting with
              pa.tila to see what appears, and l thus found pa.tilabhati (see
              http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.2:1:1244.pali
              ) which shows that paccalattha.msu is a variant of paccaladdha.msu
              which is the 3rd pers. pl. preterite - thus "they obtained", or as BB
              translates "they have acquired". Tricky, isn't it? Don't despair -
              much of the above will become easier as you gain more experience
              reading Pali - and one always has this group to ask, as you did!

              With metta,
              John

            • Stephen Hodge
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2007
                John Kelly wrote:

                > Also,
                > experience has shown me that the prefix pa.ti- often is changed to
                > pacca- (I'm not sure why this happens or if there is any rule as to
                > when this change is made - perhaps somehow more knowledgable on the
                > list can help).

                I think this might be a "doh !" moment. Pacca- is almost always a
                contracted form of pa.ti- before an "a" or "aa" (= Skt "praty + a).
                Similary, "paccu" is a contracted form of pat.ti before an "u". There is
                even an entry to this effect in PED.

                Best wishes,
                Stephen Hodge
              • johnny pruitt
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 21, 2007
                  Thanks Stephan
                  That makes a lot of sense. An A is inserted in front of the verb to signifie that it is preterite. so One gets Pa.ti---a---laddh---a.msu which mashes together to form paccaladdha.msu or paccalattha.su

                  Thanks Johnny Pruitt