Re: [Pali] Re: question about DPR

  • Dipa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
      Thank you John,
      I understand now. I appreciate your help.

      Dipa

      John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote: Hi Dipa
      The sutta you're looking for in the DPR is in the book of 8's, vagga
      6, sutta 3. It is called in the DPR version "sa"nkhitta" - "In
      Brief". In the Ce version of the canon it has the title "sa"nkhitta
      gotamyovaada" - "Advice to Gotamii in Brief".

      There's no infallible way to cross-reference numbers given in the
      Nipaata as a whole (e.g. 53) with numbers given by vagga (e.g. 6.3, in
      this case), but in general most vaggas have exactly 10 suttas, so then
      in this example it works by seeing that 53 = 5 x 10 + 3, so it is the
      3rd sutta in the 6th vagga.

      Hope this helps.
      With metta,
      John
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dipa <dipaeightprecepter@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody,
      > I am trying to use the DPR to look up a discourse from AN 8-53,
      Discourse to Gotami. Since I don't know Pali well enough and the
      numbering system is different I am not able to find this discourse.
      > I can find the book of 8's. There is another section though below the
      > numbered chapters where there is a choice of ten different sections.
      > Is there a systematic way of finding discourse number 53 in the book
      of eights? I went to the Gotami section but instead found the discourse
      > where the Buddha's step mother asks for ordination. Thats not the
      one I am looking for. I think that surely there is a way to
      systematically cross reference the number 53 discourse to this
      numbering system.

      > thanks,
      > Dipa
      >

      > http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
      >
      > Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these
      things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise;
      undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,'
      enter on and abide in them. AN 3.65