question about DPR

  • Dipa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
      Hi everybody,
      I am trying to use the DPR to look up a discourse from AN 8-53, Discourse to Gotami. Since I don't know Pali well enough and the numbering system is different I am not able to find this discourse.
      I can find the book of 8's. There is another section though below the
      numbered chapters where there is a choice of ten different sections.
      Is there a systematic way of finding discourse number 53 in the book of eights? I went to the Gotami section but instead found the discourse
      where the Buddha's step mother asks for ordination. Thats not the one I am looking for. I think that surely there is a way to systematically cross reference the number 53 discourse to this numbering system.

      thanks,
      Dipa

      http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

      Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN 3.65

    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
        Hi Dipa
        The sutta you're looking for in the DPR is in the book of 8's, vagga
        6, sutta 3. It is called in the DPR version "sa"nkhitta" - "In
        Brief". In the Ce version of the canon it has the title "sa"nkhitta
        gotamyovaada" - "Advice to Gotamii in Brief".

        There's no infallible way to cross-reference numbers given in the
        Nipaata as a whole (e.g. 53) with numbers given by vagga (e.g. 6.3, in
        this case), but in general most vaggas have exactly 10 suttas, so then
        in this example it works by seeing that 53 = 5 x 10 + 3, so it is the
        3rd sutta in the 6th vagga.

        Hope this helps.
        With metta,
        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
          Thank you John,
          I understand now. I appreciate your help.

          Dipa

          John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote: Hi Dipa