Re: [Pali] mahaaraha.m aasana.m

  • johan wijaya
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
      Dipa n Dave,

      Sori Dipa for late reply to your question about CSCD (For the time being, I'm losing the internet connection for some reason).
      Thanks Dave for answering the question.
      Anyway, nobody could give me any suggestion for my questions?

      Thanks anyhow,
      Metta,

      Jo.

      Dipa <dipaeightprecepter@...> wrote:
      Thank you Dave. I didn't know about this new version of the web site.
      I have Digital Pali Reader and saw CSCD on it and was curious what the initials stood for.

      Dipa

      P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote: Dipa,

      CSCD = Chattha Sangayana CD-ROM
      it is a project of the vri (vipassana research institute), Dhammagiri, India
      Chattha Sangayana = Sixth (dhamma) Council.

      Here, you can read a brief history, on all the six councils held so far:
      http://www.tipitaka.org/roman/chattha.html

      Here's a whole website based on the CSCD:
      http://www.tipitaka.org/

      metta.

      On 5/25/07, Dipa <sisterdipa@...> wrote:

      > What does CSCD stand for?
      >
      > thanks,
      > Dipa
      >
      > dhamma_joti <dhamma_joti@... <dhamma_joti%40yahoo.com.sg>> wrote:
      > Could somebody tell the derivation of 'mahaaraha.m' from the
      > phrase 'mahaaraha.m aasana.m'.
      > Is it: 1. mahaa+aaraha.m = the great (holy)?
      > 2. mahaa+raha = the great solitude; the great privacy?
      > 3. or is it merely the same as 'mahaa'?
      > 4. others?
      > Here is the full sentence:
      > Tata raajaa ha.msara~n~no mahaaraha.m aasana.m.
      > By PTS, it is translated into:
      > Then the king offered the goose-king a COSTLY THRONE.
      >
      > One more, in Jaataka Vol. V, edited by Fausboll, page 354, a
      > sentence is written thus:
      > navutiha.msasahassaa Buddhaparisaa.
      > While in CSCD (From the same tale), Jaataka-a.t.thakathaa-5, Roman
      > page 354, it is written:
      > channavuti ha.msasahassaa buddhaparisaa.
      > As far as I know, navuti = 90 while channavuti = 96. Could anyone
      > help me find the verification of this number? or Could it be that
      > PTS might have misprinted the word (as at the beginning of the tale
      > on page 337, it's written 'channavuti' by PTS? or am I missing
      > something?
      >
      > NB: Do geese fly? Did geese fly? Shouldn't it have been swans?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Happy Vesak,
      >
      > Jo.
      >

      > http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
      >
      > Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things
      > are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and
      > observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in
      > them. AN 3.65

      http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

      Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN 3.65

    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hi Jo,

        I would recommend you to explore the Pali terms as described in the thread:

        http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=23156

        The application of these methods yields such result in Atthakatha:

        Mahārahanti mahagghaṃ.

        > Tata raajaa ha.msara~n~no mahaaraha.m aasana.m.
        > By PTS, it is translated into:
        > Then the king offered the goose-king a COSTLY THRONE.

        As written in PED:

        Araha (adj.) ( -- ˚) [Vedic arha of arh] 1. worthy of, de- serving,
        entitled to, worth Dh 195 (pūjā˚); Pv ii.86 (dakkhiṇā˚); VvA 23 (daṇḍa˚
        deserving punishment). Freq. in cpd. mahâraha [Sk. mahârgha] worth much,
        of great value, costly, dear J i.50, 58; iii.83, etc. (see mahant). --
        2. fit for, apt for, suitable PvA 26 (paribhoga˚ fit for eating).

        Aggha [see agghati] 1. price, value, worth, Miln 244; Mhvs 26, 22; 30,
        76; VvA 77. -- mahaggha (adj.) of great value J iv.138; v.414; vi.209;
        Pv ii.118. See also mahâraha.

        Arahati [Vedic arhati, etym. uncertain but cp. agghati] to be worthy of,
        to deserve, to merit (= Lat. debeo) Sn 431, 552 (rājā arahasi bhavituŋ);
        J i.262; Dh 9, 10, 230; Pv iii.66. -- ppr. arahant (q. v.). Cp. also
        adj. araha.

        Metta, Dmytro