Re: [Pali] Re: image of a theravada dhammapala

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      Jacques,

      They are called "dvaara,paala" or door-protectors, I don't think
      they are common on Theravada temples, but more so in Mahayana
      ones. Besides the dvarapals on the two door panels (sorry I forget
      their names, as my area in early Buddhism), there are also the four
      guardian deities (of the 4 quarters).

      You may get some more info if you google what you are looking for,
      that is if someone else does not respond with what you need.

      With best wishes.

      Piya Tan

      --
      The Minding Centre