Re: [Pali] Re: image of a theravada dhammapala

  • Jacques Huynen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 3:36 AM
      No, I mean just one of those Defenders of the Dhamma
      statues making grim faces at the doors of Theravada
      temples.

      I have found in the mean time. Thanks anyway for your
      concern.

      Yours with Metta

      J. HUYNEN

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        Jacques,

        They are called "dvaara,paala" or door-protectors, I don't think
        they are common on Theravada temples, but more so in Mahayana
        ones. Besides the dvarapals on the two door panels (sorry I forget
        their names, as my area in early Buddhism), there are also the four
        guardian deities (of the 4 quarters).

        You may get some more info if you google what you are looking for,
        that is if someone else does not respond with what you need.

        With best wishes.

        Piya Tan

        --
        The Minding Centre