Translation of the Pali suttas

  • bhagatyojana
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2007
      Respected Scholars

      is the translation of the Khaggavisaana sutta of the sutta Nipata
      already done? if yes please i am studying the sutta presently and it
      would be really helpful to me

      metta
      Yojana
    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1 6:56 AM
        --- bhagatyojana <bhagatyojana@...> skrev:

        > Respected Scholars
        >
        > is the translation of the Khaggavisaana sutta of the
        > sutta Nipata
        > already done? if yes please i am studying the sutta
        > presently and it
        > would be really helpful to me

        There are several translations of it available on the
        webb, e. g. by Thanissaro:

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.03.than.html

        Or an older one by Fausböll:

        http://www.ishwar.com/buddhism/holy_sutta_nipata/book01/book01_03.html

        Or a German translation by Nyanaponika:

        http://www.palikanon.com/khuddaka/sn/sn_i03_75.html

        Hope this may be of some help,

        Gunnar

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1 7:44 AM
          Dear Yojana,
          yes, by K.R. Norman, The Group of Discourses, PTS 1992.
          Nina.
          Op 30-mei-2007, om 20:20 heeft bhagatyojana het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 8:54 PM
            One of the latest translations is that of KR Norman, "Sutta Nipata"
            translation, but I don't you can find it online. See the book.

            Piya

            --
            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644

          • Yojana Bhagat
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2 11:38 AM
              it is indeed relevant for me.

              there is a Khaggavisaana sutta in the Khaggavisaanasuttaniddessa of the Cullaniddessapaali of the Khuddaka Nikaya of the Sutta pitaka. it is commentary written by Thera Sariputta on the Khaggavisaana sutta of the Sutta Nipata.

              it is actually very important to study it. but i find it little difficult studying it in paali directly. is there any english translation of that sutta? or rather Khaggavisaanasuttaniddessa?

              if yes. please it would make my study easier.

              in metta
              Yojana

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2 6:27 PM
                The Niddesa is an early (canonical) Commentary on the Sutta Nipata. It
                should be
                interesting reading in translation.

                However, the Pali text Society catalogue I have does not list any
                translation of the
                Niddesa. There is a Thai translation though.

                With Metta,

                Piya Tan

                On 6/3/07, Yojana Bhagat <bhagatyojana@...> wrote:

                > Thank you very much for the information.
                > it is indeed relevant for me.
                >
                > there is a Khaggavisaana sutta in the Khaggavisaanasuttaniddessa of the
                > Cullaniddessapaali of the Khuddaka Nikaya of the Sutta pitaka. it is
                > commentary written by Thera Sariputta on the Khaggavisaana sutta of the
                > Sutta Nipata.
                >
                > it is actually very important to study it. but i find it little difficult
                > studying it in paali directly. is there any english translation of that
                > sutta? or rather Khaggavisaanasuttaniddessa?
                >
                > if yes. please it would make my study easier.
                >
                > in metta
                > Yojana

                The Minding Centre
                Singapore 650644
                Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

              • Kesara Pandittesekera
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11 4:57 PM
                  Yes, there is a English translation of Sutta Nipata available.

                  Name of book: Sutta Nipata, Text and Translation
                  Author: N. A. Jayawickrama
                  Pub: Karunarathne and sons ltd.
                  67 UDA Industrial Estate,
                  Katuana Rd. Homagama