Re: When is Vesak?

  • Chanida
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2007
      Dear Rahula,

      The reference of these can be found in the Pali commentaries, as in the
      following examples: (There are still many more.)

      Reference of 3 events related to the Buddha in Vesak:

      1. Birth: ItA.I.133, Suppavaasasutta-a.t.thakathaa (Cmy. To
      Uddaana)
      2. Enlightenment: DA.I.2-6 - (Brahmajaalasutta-a.t.thakathaa),
      MA.II.182, SnA.II.391, JA.I.68, ItA.II.190, UdA.50, Sp.V.956.

      3. Parinibbaana: Khuddakapaatha-a.t.thakathaa p. 89,
      DhpA.I.86, Sp.I.4, ItA.II.190, VvA.165.

      (The numbers are drawn mainly from the CSCD)

      In many references, such as the MA, the Buddha's birth date is depicted
      indirectly. It is said that the he will be in the womb for exactly 10
      months and that his conception into mother's womb occurred on the full
      moon day of the 8th month. Thus, also in this case, his birth date must
      have fallen on the full moon day of the 6th month.

      Best regards,
      Chanida

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ngawang Dorje <rahula_80@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Can anyone provide reference(s) in the suttas or otherwise, that
      the Buddha was born, attained enlightenment and died on Vesak full
      moon day?

      > If it's a full moon day, why are the Chinese (Hong Kong etc) does
      not celebrate Vesak on the full moon day?