Reading Pali Course question

  • Dipa
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2007
      Hi everybody,
      I have a question about a word on page one of the book "A New Course in Reading Pali". The word is the first word next to number 3.
      Micchaaditthikassa I understand micchaa = incorrect ditthi = view
      but I don't see anywhere where kassa is defined in this text. In the answer sheet that Dimytro referred me to it seems that kassa is "a person ". Kassa = a person. Is this correct?

      Also, I am studying the muulapariyaayasutta. apa"m = to the water?
      aapato = the water?

      thanks for your help,
      Dipa

      http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

      Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN 3.65

      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2007
        Dear Dipa,
        kassa is not a person, but the ending -ka indicates an action.
        Micchaaditthikassa: of or for the person who has wrong view. We could
        say: the wrongviewer.
        Apo: water. Apato: ablative ending -to: he knows water as water.
        It is helpful to compare 'The Root of Existence' translated by Ven.
        Bodhi, with its co. BPS Kandy. I do not know whether it is on line.
        Nina.
        Op 24-mei-2007, om 17:54 heeft Dipa het volgende geschreven:

        > The word is the first word next to number 3.
        > Micchaaditthikassa I understand micchaa = incorrect ditthi = view
        > but I don't see anywhere where kassa is defined in this text. In
        > the answer sheet that Dimytro referred me to it seems that kassa is
        > "a person ". Kassa = a person. Is this correct?
        >
        > Also, I am studying the muulapariyaayasutta. apa"m = to the water?
        > aapato = the water?
        >
        > thanks for your help,
        > Dipa

      • Dipa
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2007
          Thank you Nina,
          I am looking into ordering the booklet from BPS on the MN 1.
          I understand it in English but I don't yet see the corresponding pattern
          in Pali. Does the booklet show the Pali word endings and how they
          correspond to:
          he does not conceive ,
          he does not conceive in ,
          he does not conceive from ,
          he does not conceive to be "mine",

          In each line of the Pali I see a pattern of aapa"m aapato
          teja"m tejato vaaya"m vaayto etc . You said that aapato= he knows water as water. What is aapa"m?

          thanks,
          Dipa

          Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Dipa,

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
            Dear Dipa,
            Yes, Pali terms are given.
            Aapa.m aapato: he conceives (ma~n~nati) water as water. Here the
            accusative is used: aapa.m. Aapato: the -to suffix can be used as
            ablative, and can be translated with: as.
            Warder: Ch 14, p. 89 and 91. It can also be translated as: with
            reference to. It is a very important suffix.
            Nina.

            Op 29-mei-2007, om 13:18 heeft Dipa het volgende geschreven: