mahaaraha.m aasana.m

  • dhamma_joti
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2007
      Could somebody tell the derivation of 'mahaaraha.m' from the
      phrase 'mahaaraha.m aasana.m'.
      Is it: 1. mahaa+aaraha.m = the great (holy)?
      2. mahaa+raha = the great solitude; the great privacy?
      3. or is it merely the same as 'mahaa'?
      4. others?
      Here is the full sentence:
      Tata raajaa ha.msara~n~no mahaaraha.m aasana.m.
      By PTS, it is translated into:
      Then the king offered the goose-king a COSTLY THRONE.

      One more, in Jaataka Vol. V, edited by Fausboll, page 354, a
      sentence is written thus:
      navutiha.msasahassaa Buddhaparisaa.
      While in CSCD (From the same tale), Jaataka-a.t.thakathaa-5, Roman
      page 354, it is written:
      channavuti ha.msasahassaa buddhaparisaa.
      As far as I know, navuti = 90 while channavuti = 96. Could anyone
      help me find the verification of this number? or Could it be that
      PTS might have misprinted the word (as at the beginning of the tale
      on page 337, it's written 'channavuti' by PTS? or am I missing
      something?

      NB: Do geese fly? Did geese fly? Shouldn't it have been swans?

      Thanks in advance,
      Happy Vesak,

      Jo.
    • Dipa
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2007
        What does CSCD stand for?

        thanks,
        Dipa

        dhamma_joti <dhamma_joti@...> wrote: Could somebody tell the derivation of 'mahaaraha.m' from the
[...]

        http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

        Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN 3.65

      • P G Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2007
          Dipa,

          CSCD = Chattha Sangayana CD-ROM
          it is a project of the vri (vipassana research institute), Dhammagiri, India
          Chattha Sangayana = Sixth (dhamma) Council.

          Here, you can read a brief history, on all the six councils held so far:
          http://www.tipitaka.org/roman/chattha.html

          Here's a whole website based on the CSCD:
          http://www.tipitaka.org/

          metta.

          On 5/25/07, Dipa <sisterdipa@...> wrote:

          > What does CSCD stand for?
          >
          > thanks,
          > Dipa
          >
          > dhamma_joti <dhamma_joti@... <dhamma_joti%40yahoo.com.sg>> wrote:
          > Could somebody tell the derivation of 'mahaaraha.m' from the
          > phrase 'mahaaraha.m aasana.m'.
          > Is it: 1. mahaa+aaraha.m = the great (holy)?
          > 2. mahaa+raha = the great solitude; the great privacy?
          > 3. or is it merely the same as 'mahaa'?
          > 4. others?
          > Here is the full sentence:
          > Tata raajaa ha.msara~n~no mahaaraha.m aasana.m.
          > By PTS, it is translated into:
          > Then the king offered the goose-king a COSTLY THRONE.
          >
          > One more, in Jaataka Vol. V, edited by Fausboll, page 354, a
          > sentence is written thus:
          > navutiha.msasahassaa Buddhaparisaa.
          > While in CSCD (From the same tale), Jaataka-a.t.thakathaa-5, Roman
          > page 354, it is written:
          > channavuti ha.msasahassaa buddhaparisaa.
          > As far as I know, navuti = 90 while channavuti = 96. Could anyone
          > help me find the verification of this number? or Could it be that
          > PTS might have misprinted the word (as at the beginning of the tale
          > on page 337, it's written 'channavuti' by PTS? or am I missing
          > something?
          >
          > NB: Do geese fly? Did geese fly? Shouldn't it have been swans?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Happy Vesak,
          >
          > Jo.
          >

          > http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
          > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
          > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
          >
          > Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things
          > are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and
          > observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in
          > them. AN 3.65

        • Dipa
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2007
            Thank you Dave. I didn't know about this new version of the web site.
            I have Digital Pali Reader and saw CSCD on it and was curious what the initials stood for.

            Dipa

            P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote: Dipa,

          • johan wijaya
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
              Dipa n Dave,

              Sori Dipa for late reply to your question about CSCD (For the time being, I'm losing the internet connection for some reason).
              Thanks Dave for answering the question.
              Anyway, nobody could give me any suggestion for my questions?

              Thanks anyhow,
              Metta,

              Jo.

            • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
                Hi Jo,

                I would recommend you to explore the Pali terms as described in the thread:

                http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=23156

                The application of these methods yields such result in Atthakatha:

                Mahārahanti mahagghaṃ.

                > Tata raajaa ha.msara~n~no mahaaraha.m aasana.m.
                > By PTS, it is translated into:
                > Then the king offered the goose-king a COSTLY THRONE.

                As written in PED:

                Araha (adj.) ( -- ˚) [Vedic arha of arh] 1. worthy of, de- serving,
                entitled to, worth Dh 195 (pūjā˚); Pv ii.86 (dakkhiṇā˚); VvA 23 (daṇḍa˚
                deserving punishment). Freq. in cpd. mahâraha [Sk. mahârgha] worth much,
                of great value, costly, dear J i.50, 58; iii.83, etc. (see mahant). --
                2. fit for, apt for, suitable PvA 26 (paribhoga˚ fit for eating).

                Aggha [see agghati] 1. price, value, worth, Miln 244; Mhvs 26, 22; 30,
                76; VvA 77. -- mahaggha (adj.) of great value J iv.138; v.414; vi.209;
                Pv ii.118. See also mahâraha.

                Arahati [Vedic arhati, etym. uncertain but cp. agghati] to be worthy of,
                to deserve, to merit (= Lat. debeo) Sn 431, 552 (rājā arahasi bhavituŋ);
                J i.262; Dh 9, 10, 230; Pv iii.66. -- ppr. arahant (q. v.). Cp. also
                adj. araha.

                Metta, Dmytro