image of a theravada dhammapala

  • jhuynen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2007
      Hello Everyone,

      If any of you had a digitalized picture of a Theravada Dhammapala
      (protector of the Dhamma) he/she would be kind to send it to me to my
      e-adress.

      Thanks

      With Metta

      J.Huynen
    • ruwanr2003
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2007
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "jhuynen" <jhuynen@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > If any of you had a digitalized picture of a Theravada Dhammapala
        > (protector of the Dhamma) he/she would be kind to send it to me to my
        > e-adress.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > With Metta
        >
        > J.Huynen

        did you mean Anagarika Dhammapala?
      • Jacques Huynen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2007
          No, I mean just one of those Defenders of the Dhamma
          statues making grim faces at the doors of Theravada
          temples.

          I have found in the mean time. Thanks anyway for your
          concern.

          Yours with Metta

          J. HUYNEN

          http://tv.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
            Jacques,

            They are called "dvaara,paala" or door-protectors, I don't think
            they are common on Theravada temples, but more so in Mahayana
            ones. Besides the dvarapals on the two door panels (sorry I forget
            their names, as my area in early Buddhism), there are also the four
            guardian deities (of the 4 quarters).

            You may get some more info if you google what you are looking for,
            that is if someone else does not respond with what you need.

            With best wishes.

            Piya Tan

            --
            The Minding Centre