Basic points unifying the Theravada and the Mahayana

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2007
      -- Ven. Walpola Rahula

      1. The Buddha is our only Master.

      2. We take refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha.

      3. We do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a God.

      4. Following the example of the Buddha, who is the embodiment of Great
      Compassion (mahaa-karu.naa) and Great Wisdom (mahaa-praj~naa), we
      consider that the purpose of life is to develop compassion for all
      living beings without discrimination and to work for their good,
      happiness, and peace; and to develop wisdom leading to the realization
      of Ultimate Truth.

      5. We accept the Four Noble Truths, nameley Dukkha, the Arising of
      Dukkha, the Cessation of Dukkha, and the Path leading to the Cessation
      of Dukkha; and the universal law of cause and effect as taught in the
      pratiitya-samutpaada (Conditioned Genesis or Dependent Origination).

      6. We understand, according to the teaching of the Buddha, that all
      conditioned things (sa.mskaara) are impermanent (anitya) and dukkha,
      and that all conditioned and unconditioned things (dharma) are without
      self (anaatma).

      7. We accept the Thirty-seven Qualities conducive to Enlightenment
      (bodhipak.sa-dharma) as different aspects of the Path taught by the
      Buddha leading to Enlightenment.

      8. There are three ways of attaining bodhi or Enlightenment, according
      to the ability and capacity of each individual: namely as a disciple
      (sraavaka), as a Pratyeka-Buddha and as a Samyak-sam-Buddha (perfectly
      and Fully Enlightened Buddha). We accept it as the highest, noblest,
      and most heroic to follow the career of a Bodhisattva and to become a
      Samyak-sam-Buddha in order to save others.

      9. We admit that in different countries there are differences with
      regard to the life of Buddhist monks, popular Buddhist beliefs and
      practices, rites and ceremonies, customs and habits. These external
      forms and expressions should not be confused with the essential
      teachings of the Buddha.

      [Approved by the World Buddhist Sangha Council in 1966.]