To learn Burmese language

  • v aravind
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22, 2007
      Dear friends,

      I'm interested in learning Burmese to read Dipani's of Ledi Sayadaw and
      Biographies of Meditation Masters (U Ba Khin, Webu Sayadaw etc).

      Can you please guide me the sources to learn Burmese. Are there any Burmese
      teachers in India?

      With Metta
      Aravind

      Free & easy posting . Yello Classifieds.
      http://www.yello.in/home.php?utm_source=hotmailtag&utm_medium=textlink&utm_content=in&utm_campaign=april
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2007
        Aravind,

        Ledi Sayadaw's Dipanis have been translated into English and available as
        free books.
        Perhaps someone online could tell you how to get such books.

        However, it is always good to be able to read such books directly in the
        original language.
        Burmese efforts in translation their native works into English sadly leaves
        much to be desired
        as the language is often rambling or stilted and archaic. But the situation
        is improving I think
        as the country becomes more open to bona fide scholars foreigners.

        Piya Tan

        On 4/22/07, v aravind <aravind_chemiit@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        >
        > I'm interested in learning Burmese to read Dipani's of Ledi Sayadaw and
        > Biographies of Meditation Masters (U Ba Khin, Webu Sayadaw etc).
        >
        > Can you please guide me the sources to learn Burmese. Are there any
        > Burmese
        > teachers in India?
        >
        > With Metta
        > Aravind

        > Free & easy posting . Yello Classifieds.
        >
        > http://www.yello.in/home.php?utm_source=hotmailtag&utm_medium=textlink&utm_content=in&utm_campaign=april

      • Gunnar Gällmo
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2007
          --- Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> skrev:

          > Ledi Sayadaw's Dipanis have been translated into
          > English and available as
          > free books.

          Were they originally written in Burmese or in Pali?

          Gunnar

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2007
            Probably Pali in Burmese script.

            Piya

            On 4/23/07, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:

            > --- Piya Tan <dharmafarer@... <dharmafarer%40gmail.com>> skrev:
            >
            > > Ledi Sayadaw's Dipanis have been translated into
            > > English and available as
            > > free books.
            >
            > Were they originally written in Burmese or in Pali?
            >
            > Gunnar

          • Kumaara Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 23, 2007
              Dear Aravind,

              There are some Burmese monks scattered in various places in India. Not sure if they would be willing to help. Anyway, you should be able to find some in the Burmese temples in Bodhgaya and universities offering Buddhist studies.

              FYI, you can find 4 of Ledi Sayadaw's works in Pali in CSCD.

              kb

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24, 2007
                --- Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> skrev:

                In that case, Aravind wouldn't need to learn the
                Burmese language to read the original text, just the
                Burmese script (unless the texts have been
                translitterated).

                Gunnar

                > Probably Pali in Burmese script.
                >
                > Piya
                >

                > On 4/23/07, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...
                > <dharmafarer%40gmail.com>> skrev:
                > >
                > > > Ledi Sayadaw's Dipanis have been translated into
                > > > English and available as
                > > > free books.
                > >
                > > Were they originally written in Burmese or in
                > Pali?
                > >
                > > Gunnar

                > > Flyger tiden iväg? Fånga dagen med Yahoo! Mails
                > inbyggda
                > > kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning
                > och antispam. Få den på:
                > > http://se.mail.yahoo.com

                > removed]

                Hitta din nästa resa på Yahoo! Shopping.
                Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum här: http://shopping.yahoo.se/b/a/c_169901_resor_biljetter.html
              • Frank Snow
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24, 2007
                  Most of Ledi Sayadaw's writings, including the Dipanis, are in Burmese
                  language, not Pali.

                  The University of Wisconsin at Madison has an 8-week summer intensive
                  course in the Burmese language. I have heard only good things about
                  the program.
                  http://seassi.wisc.edu/

                  The Manuals of Buddhism is available in English here:
                  http://www.webcom.com/imcuk/PUBLIC.html

                  Frank Snow
                  fsnow at fsnow dot com

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:

                  > --- Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> skrev:
                  >
                  > In that case, Aravind wouldn't need to learn the
                  > Burmese language to read the original text, just the
                  > Burmese script (unless the texts have been
                  > translitterated).
                  >
                  > Gunnar
                • Bhikkhu Pesala
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2007
                    Have you tried contacting the Vipassana Research Institute?
                    http://www.vri.dhamma.org/

                    S.N. Goenka was born in Burma, and speaks fluent Burmese. He follows the
                    U Ba Khin tradition, which is in the lineage of the Venerable Ledi
                    Sayadaw. If anyone in India can help you with studies of the Ledi Sayadaw
                    Dipanis, he will surely know of someone.

                    In the UK, Roger Bischoff of Splatts House may be able to offer some
                    useful advice.

                    http://www.ubakhin.com/

                    Many of Ledi Sayadaw's works can be found at the above link, but I am
                    sure you already know that. I'm afraid that my knowledge of Burmese is
                    not sufficient to do any translation work.