Sivali Paritta Translation Request

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2007
      Dear Group,

      I need an English translation for the Sivali Paritta.
      I've found two versions:
      Sivali ja Mahathero Devatanarapuchito Soraho Pajjayatimhi Sivali ja
      Mahathero Yakkhadeva Puchito Soraho Pajjayatimhi Ahang Wanthami Tang
      Sathatassatherassa Aetang Khunang Sotthilabhang Bhavantumae."

      Sivali Ca Mahathero Devata Narapujito Soharo Paccaya Dhimhi.
      Sivali Ca Mahathero Yakkha Devabhi Pujito Soharo Paccaya Dhimhi Ahang
      Vandami Sabbada.
      Sivalitherassa Etang Gunang Savasthi Labhang Bhavantu Me..

      Any help appreciated.

      With metta / Antony.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
        Dear Antony,

        if I am right, this looks like (Romanised) Pali with Burmese flavour
        [encoding]. The standard Velthuis encoding should be

        Sivali ca mahathero devataa narapuujito soharo paccaya dhimhi.
        Sivali ca mahathero yakkha devabhi pujito soharo paccaya dhimhi aha.m
        vandami sabbada.
        sivalitherassa eta.m guna.m savasthi labha.m bhavantu me.

        The long vowels are shortened too. If the punctuation is correct, the
        first line is:

        Sivali (and), the great elder, divine, of service to mankind [or
        honoured by men], ???, requisite(s) through wisdom.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
          Dear Antony,

          I think I made a mistake here, it should be:

          Sivali (and), the great elder, of service to gods and men [or honoured
          by gods and men], ???, requisite(s) through wisdom.