Re: Ekakkharakosa

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2007
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:

      > Dear Jim,
      >
      > thanks. The SLTP has also released the following in electronic
      version:

      Dear Yong Peng,

      The CSCD also has Ledi Sayadaw's large modern Pali grammar called the
      Niruttidiipanii which is based on the Moggallaanabyaakara.na. I had a
      hard copy of both texts mailed to me from Myanmar last summer.

      > . Mahaaruupasiddhi [CPD class 5.1.4]

      It should be noted that the Ruupasiddhi.tiikaa is included at the
      back of the above in the SLTP collection.

      > Both the CSCD and SLTP have Kaccaayanabyaakara.na readily available
      > the public, while PTS has Dr Ole Pind and Eisel Mazard currently
      > working on two editions of it.

      One major problem with the readily available Pali grammatical etexts
      is that they generally contain a lot of typos making them less
      reliable than their originals in printed books. The latter would also
      include footnotes, tables, and indexes not found in the etext
      versions.

      Acquiring fluency in Pali is certainly no easy task. It is said by
      Patanjali in his Mahabhashya that one of the benefits of mastering
      (Sanskrit) vyaakara.na is that it will make it easy to read fluently
      or something to that effect. I think the same applies to learning
      Pali vyaakara.na and its application to Pali passages in the
      Tipitaka. I have to confess that after more than 30 years I'm still
      far from having any fluency in Pali. It is only in the last few years
      that I've come to realize how important it is to learn a traditional
      Pali grammar in a thorough ans systematic manner.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your advice and information. Many of us would be glad if
        you can restart Kaccaayanabyaakara.na in the Pali Study group. As this
        group matures, we may also consider group discussion of these texts.

        Mastering a language takes time, probably a lifetime, especially when
        it is to ancient religious literature. So, I can understand your
        'plight'. In fact, with all the exercises we have gone through, I hope
        we can slowly develop a systematic approach to the learning of Pali.

        With a bit of further research, I have compiled the information in
        this discussions on a webpage: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/texts.htm

        As we have more information, I will expand the page's contents.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The CSCD also has Ledi Sayadaw's large modern Pali grammar called the
        Niruttidiipanii which is based on the Moggallaanabyaakara.na.

        Acquiring fluency in Pali is certainly no easy task. It is said by
        Patanjali in his Mahabhashya that one of the benefits of mastering
        (Sanskrit) vyaakara.na is that it will make it easy to read fluently
        or something to that effect. I think the same applies to learning Pali
        vyaakara.na and its application to Pali passages in the Tipitaka. I
        have to confess that after more than 30 years I'm still far from
        having any fluency in Pali. It is only in the last few years that I've
        come to realize how important it is to learn a traditional Pali
        grammar in a thorough ans systematic manner.
      • diedrik2000
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 19, 2007
          Dear Jim,

          thanks very much for your information and your time!

          Diedrik