Re: Ekakkharakosa

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2007
      Dear Jim,

      thanks. The SLTP has also released the following in electronic version:

      . [Grammar] .
      . Baalaavataara [CPD class 5.1.5]
      . Kaccaayana Dhaatuma~njuusaa (incomplete)
      . Dhaatupaa.tha Vilaasiniya [CPD class 5.5.1]
      . Kaccaayanavyaakara.na
      . Moggallaayanavyaakara.na
      . Moggallaana Vuttivivara.napa~ncikaa
      . Padama~njarii
      . Padasaadhana
      . Mahaaruupasiddhi [CPD class 5.1.4]
      . Saddabindu pakara.na [CPD class 5.4.5]
      . Vaakyamaalaava
      . [Misc:Dictionary] .
      . Abhidhaanappadiipikaa [CPD class 5.6.1]
      . [Misc:Rhetoric] .
      . Subodhaala`nkaara [CPD class 5.8.1]

      Both the CSCD and SLTP have Kaccaayanabyaakara.na readily available to
      the public, while PTS has Dr Ole Pind and Eisel Mazard currently
      working on two editions of it.

      As for Saddaniiti, CSCD only contains the first two of its three
      parts. So, the PTS version is probably the only complete version
      easily available in Roman script.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

      > Of the grammar texts, which would be a good one to start with?

      I would personally recommend the Kaccaayanabyaakara.na as a good one
      to start with. It's the oldest extant Pali grammar and there are quite
      a few commenataries written on it. The Saddaniiti is also very good
      (the one that Warder refers to as his authority) and H. Smith's
      edition does often come in handy as a reference manual.
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2007
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:

        > Dear Jim,
        >
        > thanks. The SLTP has also released the following in electronic
        version:

        Dear Yong Peng,

        The CSCD also has Ledi Sayadaw's large modern Pali grammar called the
        Niruttidiipanii which is based on the Moggallaanabyaakara.na. I had a
        hard copy of both texts mailed to me from Myanmar last summer.

        > . Mahaaruupasiddhi [CPD class 5.1.4]

        It should be noted that the Ruupasiddhi.tiikaa is included at the
        back of the above in the SLTP collection.

        > Both the CSCD and SLTP have Kaccaayanabyaakara.na readily available
        > the public, while PTS has Dr Ole Pind and Eisel Mazard currently
        > working on two editions of it.

        One major problem with the readily available Pali grammatical etexts
        is that they generally contain a lot of typos making them less
        reliable than their originals in printed books. The latter would also
        include footnotes, tables, and indexes not found in the etext
        versions.

        Acquiring fluency in Pali is certainly no easy task. It is said by
        Patanjali in his Mahabhashya that one of the benefits of mastering
        (Sanskrit) vyaakara.na is that it will make it easy to read fluently
        or something to that effect. I think the same applies to learning
        Pali vyaakara.na and its application to Pali passages in the
        Tipitaka. I have to confess that after more than 30 years I'm still
        far from having any fluency in Pali. It is only in the last few years
        that I've come to realize how important it is to learn a traditional
        Pali grammar in a thorough ans systematic manner.

        Best wishes,
        Jim
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2007
          Dear Jim,

          thank you for your advice and information. Many of us would be glad if
          you can restart Kaccaayanabyaakara.na in the Pali Study group. As this
          group matures, we may also consider group discussion of these texts.

          Mastering a language takes time, probably a lifetime, especially when
          it is to ancient religious literature. So, I can understand your
          'plight'. In fact, with all the exercises we have gone through, I hope
          we can slowly develop a systematic approach to the learning of Pali.

          With a bit of further research, I have compiled the information in
          this discussions on a webpage: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/texts.htm

          As we have more information, I will expand the page's contents.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

          The CSCD also has Ledi Sayadaw's large modern Pali grammar called the
          Niruttidiipanii which is based on the Moggallaanabyaakara.na.

          Acquiring fluency in Pali is certainly no easy task. It is said by
          Patanjali in his Mahabhashya that one of the benefits of mastering
          (Sanskrit) vyaakara.na is that it will make it easy to read fluently
          or something to that effect. I think the same applies to learning Pali
          vyaakara.na and its application to Pali passages in the Tipitaka. I
          have to confess that after more than 30 years I'm still far from
          having any fluency in Pali. It is only in the last few years that I've
          come to realize how important it is to learn a traditional Pali
          grammar in a thorough ans systematic manner.
        • diedrik2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19, 2007
            Dear Jim,

            thanks very much for your information and your time!

            Diedrik