Re: SV: [Pali] A.t.ta or attha

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2007
      Thanks Gunnar,
      Also I meant to say Bhava.m santu Paa.livaggiya. I believe this means hello/good fortune Pali group.

      Mettacittena John Pruitt

      Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
      --- johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> skrev:

      > Bhava.m satu paa.livaggii,
      > I have noticed that the Paa.lipada for the english
      > word commentary is A.t.takathaa. I always asumed
      > that it was atthakathaa. I mistakenly took a.t.ta to
      > be the word attha signifining: meaning, purpose,
      > welfare. Morover I took kathaa to mean speach or
      > anything related through speach. However when I
      > looked up a.t.ta it said it meant eight.

      The word for "eight" is "a.t.tha", not "a.t.ta"; but I
      don't think that meaning is involved here.

      The PTS Dictionary says under the word "Attha1":

      "-- kathaa (a.t.tha¢ª) exposition of the sense,
      explanation, commentary"

      So it seems that "a.t.tha" here is just a variant form
      of "attha", and that you actually weren't mistaken to
      begin with.

      Gunnar

      kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

    • P G Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2007
        johnny,

        kathaa mean the spoken (word/matter/points/story - choose contextually). So,
        liberally translated, "A.t.takathaa" would mean eight points.

        quite often kathaa is also used to mean story. e.g. a book on the life of
        Buddha may well be titled "Buddhakathaa" just as a compilation of Buddha's
        teachings may be titled "Buddhakathaa"

        hope this helps.

        with metta.