A.t.ta or attha

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12 7:17 AM
      Bhava.m satu paa.livaggii,
      I have noticed that the Paa.lipada for the english word commentary is A.t.takathaa. I always asumed that it was atthakathaa. I mistakenly took a.t.ta to be the word attha signifining: meaning, purpose, welfare. Morover I took kathaa to mean speach or anything related through speach. However when I looked up a.t.ta it said it meant eight. Therefore assuming that Kathaa means speach does the word for comentary mean "eight speach". I am a complete rooky at Pali so any help at this would be helpfull.

      Sukhi hotu mettacittena
      John Pruitt

    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13 6:33 AM
        --- johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> skrev:

        > Bhava.m satu paa.livaggii,
        > I have noticed that the Paa.lipada for the english
        > word commentary is A.t.takathaa. I always asumed
        > that it was atthakathaa. I mistakenly took a.t.ta to
        > be the word attha signifining: meaning, purpose,
        > welfare. Morover I took kathaa to mean speach or
        > anything related through speach. However when I
        > looked up a.t.ta it said it meant eight.

        The word for "eight" is "a.t.tha", not "a.t.ta"; but I
        don't think that meaning is involved here.

        The PTS Dictionary says under the word "Attha1":

        "-- kathaa (a.t.tha¢ª) exposition of the sense,
        explanation, commentary"

        So it seems that "a.t.tha" here is just a variant form
        of "attha", and that you actually weren't mistaken to
        begin with.

        Gunnar

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • johnny pruitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13 5:53 PM
          Thanks Gunnar,
          Also I meant to say Bhava.m santu Paa.livaggiya. I believe this means hello/good fortune Pali group.

          Mettacittena John Pruitt

          Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
          --- johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> skrev:

          > Bhava.m satu paa.livaggii,
          > I have noticed that the Paa.lipada for the english
          > word commentary is A.t.takathaa. I always asumed
          > that it was atthakathaa. I mistakenly took a.t.ta to
          > be the word attha signifining: meaning, purpose,
          > welfare. Morover I took kathaa to mean speach or
          > anything related through speach. However when I
          > looked up a.t.ta it said it meant eight.

          The word for "eight" is "a.t.tha", not "a.t.ta"; but I
          don't think that meaning is involved here.

          The PTS Dictionary says under the word "Attha1":

          "-- kathaa (a.t.tha¢ª) exposition of the sense,
          explanation, commentary"

          So it seems that "a.t.tha" here is just a variant form
          of "attha", and that you actually weren't mistaken to
          begin with.

          Gunnar

          kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19 12:54 AM
            johnny,

            kathaa mean the spoken (word/matter/points/story - choose contextually). So,
            liberally translated, "A.t.takathaa" would mean eight points.

            quite often kathaa is also used to mean story. e.g. a book on the life of
            Buddha may well be titled "Buddhakathaa" just as a compilation of Buddha's
            teachings may be titled "Buddhakathaa"

            hope this helps.

            with metta.