Learning Pali

  • Bill Crecelius
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2002
      I have been studying Pali without a teacher for about a year. A friend suggested I use the A.K. Warder text book and so I have been using his book to study. As you may know it is very dense and not very understandable for a raw beginner. Until I started using Warder, I had been using Lily de Silva's book, but she doesn't use passages from the Tipitika, which I prefer.
      What I would like to know is does anyone have any "class notes" from Warder. I am sure that his book combined with class room instruction would be much more understandable for a beginner such as myself. So my thinking is that with this many people interested in Pali in this chat room there may be someone who took a class with him and has notes. Also I would be very interested in learning if anyone has the answers to the exercises in his book. The references to the Digha Nikaya in the back of the book in the answers section are often obscure and of course there are no answers to the translations from English to Pali.
      Any help will be appreciated and I am happy I discovered your site. Your friend in the Dhamma, Bill Crecelius

      P.S. Is there a Pali List serve and what ever happened to Andy's Pali Page?

    • Kumaara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2002
        At 04:24 AM 28-08-02, Bill Crecelius wrote:
        >I have been studying Pali without a teacher for about a year. A friend suggested I use the A.K. Warder text book and so I have been using his book to study. As you may know it is very dense and not very understandable for a raw beginner. Until I started using Warder, I had been using Lily de Silva's book, but she doesn't use passages from the Tipitika, which I prefer.

        Maybe you'd like to try "A New Course in Reading Pali" by Gair and Karunatillake. It uses passages from the Tipitika as well.

        >Also I would be very interested in learning if anyone has the answers to the exercises in his book. The references to the Digha Nikaya in the back of the book in the answers section are often obscure and of course there are no answers to the translations from English to Pali.
        >Any help will be appreciated and I am happy I discovered your site. Your friend in the Dhamma, Bill Crecelius
        >
        >P.S. Is there a Pali List serve

        If you're referring to a list run by a Sri Lankan monk, yes, but AFAIK not active now.
        (This group you're in now is probably the most active Pali email discussion group in the whole world.)

        >and what ever happened to Andy's Pali Page?

        Sometime ago, he spoke of having to most his website from host to host. Now, I don't know where it is. It's probably no where in the WWW. When I tried to email him...

        <721910352@...>
        (reason: 550 Invalid recipient: <721910352@...>)

        peace

        Ven Kumâra