Re: The wisdom-liberated Arahant

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 17, 2007
      I am concerned that if the wisdom-liberated Arahat does not attain even
      the first form-level Jhana (DN II 70-1), then he aasavaa are destroyed
      not by samadha but by ''seeing'' with wisdom. This is very different
      from any meditative traditions in history.

      Thomas Law

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "crimian84000" <crimian84000@...> wrote:

      > I would think that a Arahat has shed those states so it does not
      > matter at that point.
      > The jhana are not going to be the same for everyone perhaps.
      > Similar in taste likely.
      >
      > Jhana is tied also with siila and panna so i do not know if it is a
      > stict line.
      > Not all people have equal levels in all 3 regions
      > They are also subject to crossover.
      > To act in quietude and wise effort is not easy I beievve.
      > Why stuggle for samadhi even.
      > Does one only "get" Jhanas while in traditional meditation positions?
      > I would not think so.
      > Enough of my ramblings anyway hehe.

    • crimian84000
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 18, 2007
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johan wijaya <dhamma_joti@...> wrote:

        > Dear Crimian,
        >
        > What u are thinking to do is actually very great...I'm also a
        novice as a Pali learner and this group member as well.
        > what I need to you consider first before you undergo that plan is
        probably the flexibility of the link, or the work group later. what i
        mean is that one can contact to another directly without having to
        send messages to the whole group, unless the sender wants to post it.
        Do u think it can do? I'm not good at computer anyway.

        > Sukhi hotu,
        >
        > Johan.

        Well Johan I would like to make it so we can have a chat room and
        also linking people up on Messenger and such services.
        I am also tinkering with bible merorization software.
        They can be easily used for the Tipitaka.

        So we would need different levels of learning depending on the time
        and ability among other things.
        Hopefully it can be a modulated study so one can pick and choose to
        study 1 verse or so at a time and perform multiple tasks on that
        verse.
        Grammar, pronunciation, meaning and reflection (group and individual,
        as well as memorization.

        Surely there are other things that can also be done.

        Yahoo groups will most likely only be 1 part of the project.
        I am beginning to prepare for it now but it may be quite some time
        before it has got enough to use well.

        I do no want to do 1 lesson a week and strugle to get it online if
        soemthing comes up.
        Preparing about 3 months worth before hand and then adding to it
        later would be the best approach.

        Any ideas are welcome as well as anyone interested in helping.
        Talk to me online at akaaliko.crimian@...
        This would be a large project if it gets going and one deserving of
        the teaching of the Noble One.

        P.S. Does anyone here know of a page of statistics for the Tipitaka?
        Verses, divisions, and words etc. Thanks all.
      • rjkjp1
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 18, 2007
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "thomaslaw03" <thomaslaw03@...> wrote:

          > I am concerned that if the wisdom-liberated Arahat does not attain
          even
          > the first form-level Jhana (DN II 70-1), then he aasavaa are
          destroyed
          > not by samadha but by ''seeing'' with wisdom. This is very
          different
          > from any meditative traditions in history.
          >
          > Thomas Law

          Dear Thomas
          Because the way of insight is unique to Dhamma.

          In the Susima sutta the Buddha explained about sukkavipassaka
          arhants - those who are liberated without having jhana.
          Venerable Bodhi translates the commentary to this sutta:

          i]Saratthappakasini (Atthakatha) :
          Why is this said? For the purpose
          of showing the arising of
          knowledge thus even without concentration.
          This is meant: "Susima, the path and fruit are not the issue of
          concentration (samadhinissanda), nor the advantage brought about by
          concentration (samadhi-anisamsa), nor the outcome of concentration
          (samadhinipphatti). They are the issue of insight (vipassana), the
          advantage brought about by insight, the outcome of insight.
          Therefore, whether you understand or not, first comes knowledge of
          the stability of the Dhamma, afterwards knowledge of Nibbana.
          Spk-pt (tika): 'Even without concentration' (vina pi samadhim): even
          without
          previously established (concentration) that has acquired the
          characteristic of serenity (samatha-lakkhanappattam); this is said
          referring to one who takes the vehicle of insight
          (vipassanayanika)..."[/i]

          Robert
        • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 19, 2007
            Hello Crimian,

            > Hopefully it can be a modulated study so one can pick and choose to
            > study 1 verse or so at a time and perform multiple tasks on that
            > verse.
            > Grammar, pronunciation, meaning and reflection (group and individual,
            > as well as memorization.

            You may find useful the material at
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali.htm

            Metta, Dmytro
          • Michael Beisert
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 19, 2007
              Susima Sutta:

              Thanissaro Bhikkhu note:

              This discourse is sometimes cited as proof that a meditator can attain Awakening (final gnosis) without having practiced the jhanas, but a close reading shows that it does not support this assertion at all. The new arahants mentioned here do not deny that they have attained any of the four "form" jhanas that make up the definition of right concentration. Instead, they simply deny that they have acquired any psychic powers or that they remain in physical contact with the higher levels of concentration, "the formless states beyond forms." In this, their definition of "discernment-release" is no different from that given in AN 9.44<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.044.than.html> (compare this with the definitions for "bodily witness" and "released in both ways" given in AN 9.43<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.043.than.html> and AN 9.45<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.045.than.html>) Taken in the context of the Buddha's many other teachings on right concentration, there's every reason to believe that the new arahants mentioned in this discourse had reached at least the first jhana before attaining Awakening.

              Michael

            • thomaslaw03
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 21, 2007
                Michael,

                How about this sutta: DN II 70-71, and also the Chinese counterpart
                of Susima Sutta: SA 347 (T2 pp. 96a-98a).

                Thomas Law