Onderwerp: [Pali] AN2.1.1 Vajja Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2007
      this is part 4.
      ----------
      In the Thai Pali version, there is: for; Ki~nca ta.m yenaaha.m
      instead of yaaha.m.

      the Co suggests: yena aha.m. by which I...

      There are different manuscripts and once Jim suggested to compare
      different manuscripts, at least five, when undertaking a translation.

      ----------
      So samparaayikassa vajjassa bhiito kaayaduccarita.m pahaaya
      kaayasucarita.m bhaaveti, vaciiduccarita.m pahaaya vaciisucarita.m
      bhaaveti, manoduccarita.m pahaaya manosucarita.m bhaaveti, suddha.m
      attaana.m pariharati.

      Y.P.: Frightened of the fault associating with the next world, he
      abandons
      unwholesome bodily action and pursues wholesome bodily action,
      abandons unwholesome verbal action and pursues wholesome verbal
      action, abandons unwholesome mental action and pursues wholesome
      mental action, (and) maintains himself purified.

      -------

      N: Suggestion: Frightened of the wrongs affecting life in the
      future... he maintains a purified conduct.

      -------

      Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, samparaayika.m vajja.m.
      this / is called / monks / belong to the next world / fault
      Monks, this is called the fault associating with the next world.

      "Imaani kho, bhikkhave, dve vajjaani.
      these / indeed / monks / two / faults
      "Indeed, these (are) the two faults, monks.

      Tasmaatiha, bhikkhave, eva.m sikkhitabba.m�
      from him-here / monks / thus / should be learned
      Monks, here, (it) should be learned from him thus:

      ------

      N: Therefore , monks, you should train yourself thus:

      ----------
      Y.P.:'di.t.thadhammikassa vajjassa bhaayissaama, samparaayikassa
      vajjassa
      bhaayissaama, vajjabhiiruno bhavissaama vajjabhayadassaavino'ti.
      of belonging to this world / of fault / (we) should be afraid / of
      belonging to the next world / of fault / (we) should be afraid / ??? /
      (we) should become / those who know fear of faults
      'We should fear fault associating with this world, we should fear
      fault associating with the next world, (as) those who know fear of
      faults we should become ???.'

      -------

      N: We should fear wrongs affecting this life, affecting a future
      life, we should become those who fear wrongs and see the danger of
      wrongs.

      (should become, bhaavissaama, is omitted here)

      Eva~nhi vo, bhikkhave, sikkhitabba.m.
      thus-surely / by you / monks / should be learned
      Surely, monks, (it) should be learned by you thus.

      --------

      Vajjabhiiruno, bhikkhave, vajjabhayadassaavino eta.m paa.tika`nkha.m
      ya.m parimuccissati sabbavajjehii"ti.
      ??? / monks / those who know fear of faults / this / is expected /
      which / will be released / from all faults
      Monks, it is expected that (as) those who know fear of faults, ???
      will be released from all faults."

      --------

      N: vajjabhayadassaavino: a bahubbiihi, with suffix -in, in the dative
      (Warder: p 122).

      For the person who fears wrongs, who sees the danger of wrongs, it is
      expected that he will be released from all faults.

      (eta.m...ya.m: .literally: this is expected which.) The Co. suggests
      that ya.m is a nipaata: an indeclinable (Warder: p. 355). Merely
      emphatic or with vague meaning.

      Remark: the Co. elaborates on purity of conduct: the ariyan disciple
      takes refuge (in the Triple Gem), observes five or ten precepts,
      observes the four purities of siila (parisuddhisiila: restraint
      according to the pa.timokkha, restraint of the sense faculties,
      purity of livelihood, siila regarding the four requisites). Further
      by the attainment of the ruupa-jhaanas and aruupa-jhaanas, by the the
      attainment of the four Paths.

      The noble disicple is free from faults by the four Paths and the four
      Fruitions.