Re: [Pali] Re: HI all. keen to learn

  • johan wijaya
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 6, 2007
      Dear Crimian,

      Ok..I'll be looking forward for the good news about it.

      Metta
      Johan.

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 7, 2007
        Dear Crimian and Johan,

        all new members to the group, and friends. It is nice to hear some new
        eager voices in the group. Please make good use of the resources on
        tipitaka.net for your study. I may not be a greenhorn, but I am still
        learning something new each day.

        The group started in 2001 catering to the learning and sharing of
        Pali. We have since gone through several books, with the recommended
        solutions available in the message archive and compilations on
        tipitaka.net. The group's activities have taken shape to allow several
        threads running concurrently, in addition to ad-hoc discussions.

        Crimian, people learn in different ways. Learning Pali can be made
        interesting too. Post us what you think might interest you: Pali
        chanting, meditation practice, sutta study, abhidhamma study, pali
        grammar, sutta translation, etc, and we can work out something for you.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, crimian84000 wrote:

        We can teach Paali in a way that gets people recognizing it early on.
        But using a language we learn it easier.
      • crimian84000
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 7, 2007
          Pali chanting, meditation practice, sutta study, abhidhamma study,
          pali grammar, sutta translation are all interesting to me.
          I do chant but would like it to be deeper in meaning.

          I hope to learn Paali well enough to translate the suttas myself as
          well as one day read them stright in paali. I am a big fan of
          language learning and am currently learning French. True we all have
          different ways of leaning, it is something else i explore often.

          I find myself extremely curious about this world and it's people. I
          study many fields and would like to be able to study Buddhism in much
          greater depth also.

          I wish to be a monk one day and I consider learning the ancient
          languages of ALL religious traditions important because they also
          have important things to say about the human condition. Also we must
          all, as Buddhists, communicate and live with people of other faiths.
          I hope for nothing less than to help in creating a beneficial mind of
          my own and a understanding , helpful, compasionately wise society. I
          do not know that we can ever have total peace in the world but I will
          not wish to ever contribute to the opposite knowingly.

          Hopefull we can run another group in tandem with this one and we can
          both produce an atmosphere that can foster the understanding and
          practical application of the sublime and free teaching of The Rightly
          Self Awakened One.

          May we all use our intelligence for good not harm as we walk this
          path.
          May you all be happy and study diligently ;)

          p.s. I have one friend online that I have started to teach a little
          paali already and he is interested in the group. There is certainly
          interest but I seek the blessing of this already established, hard
          working group.
        • crimian84000
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2007
            What i really want to do is rather ambitious but i see it as a good
            thing to do.
            I want to analyze the various Abhidhammas and piece together the
            split of the Sangha in between the 2nd and 3rd councils.
            Basically NIkaya Buddhism.
          • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
              Hi Crimian,

              > What i am proposing is a new group that is linked with this site.
              > I could run it perhaps with some help.
              > We could work on making simple sentences and recording them to audio.
              > Perhaps even talking to others over the internet.

              This would be feasible only with the online presence of a qualified
              teacher. Otherwise the students can reinforce the mutual mistakes.
              This sometimes happens even in this group.

              If the teacher is not available, computer-assisted learning can be helpful.

              For example, we can develop the Pali section at:

              http://www.quia.com/shared/
              http://iteslj.org/v/

              or create learning interactions:

              http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/applications/learning_interactions/
              http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/applications/quiz_tutorial/

              or develop a whole Pali learning course like

              http://www.auralog.com/en/homepage.htm

              Metta, Dmytro
            • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
                P.S. A good article:

                Developing Language Learning Tools

                Dennie Hoopingarner, Michigan State University

                http://clear.msu.edu/dennie/cv/icie2007.html
              • crimian84000
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
                  Thanks for the input Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko.

                  I think yes that we are all going to make mistakes but I think the
                  risk of making no ground whatsoever, for a beginner, will be much
                  higher when made to translate suttas.They have quite a bit of
                  idiomatic language that should not be the beginning focus of language
                  students for any language, except those which one can not do without
                  in everyday speech.

                  I think small sentences like those found in the workbooks I have will
                  not pose any problems.

                  I am only starting on paali but i have some language learning
                  experience and I cannot read a 20 word sentence and translate them
                  one for one and learn much. At best i learn vocab doing that but i
                  have better methods for that. This way is good for once you know how
                  to contructs a couple simple sentences.

                  There would be checks and perhaps someone more knowledgable would be
                  able to give some pointers. Possibly I can get in touch with the
                  Sydney University lecturer who teaches pali and get some pointers.

                  I think that people that used to get Latin drills hated it and I feel
                  like that when i look at some of the stuff here. There is nothing
                  wrong with grammar but to a beginner, who may struggle to understand
                  the terms even for their own language, will feel disheartened.

                  We must make learning a gradual process not a jump into the deep end.
                  I am currently deep in university study so i will be doing a little
                  in the way of exercise making in my spare time. Hopefully in a few
                  months i can get a few lessons going. :)
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 10, 2007
                    Dear Crimian,

                    as I mentioned earlier, people all learn differently. Usually, mature
                    (adult) students, who learn Pali willingly, do not face the same
                    problem. Still, I hope your point will be considered by aspiring
                    authors planning to write new Pali textbooks.

                    The suggestions by Dmytro are good. From your postings and email
                    address, I gather that you are from Australia, and possibly New South
                    Wales. Given your diverse interests, you may also like to consider
                    joining a Buddhist group there.

                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, crimian84000 wrote:

                    I think that people that used to get Latin drills hated it and I feel
                    like that when i look at some of the stuff here.
                  • thomaslaw03
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 13, 2007
                      Dear Pali friend,

                      Does a wisdom-liberated Arahant (as opposed to the both ways liberated
                      Arahant; MN I 477-78) attain at least 'the first jhana' of the four
                      formless states? It seems that the wisdom-liberated Arahant does not
                      attain all of the four jhanas (Cf. DN II 70-1). Any advice?

                      Sincerely,

                      Thomas Law
                    • crimian84000
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 13, 2007
                        I find i can go through the textbooks and learn something but even
                        with my interest level and determination to learn it i find there is
                        something missing.

                        Like learning a modern language and not hearning it.
                        We may not have know ALL the features of paali pronunciation but
                        cross language study in ancient India does give many good hints.
                        This makes me wonder about the possibilities of a concise beginners
                        course being written.

                        I have learn from several language teaching methods and am starting
                        to see how things may get learners involved.

                        Of course language style is important so a website is a perfect place
                        to do something. Audio, visual and even hints on other sensory
                        dominant or method dominant styles.
                        Flash cards can help some people but not all.
                        Saying the word out lous will help anyone to a degree, even those who
                        are not too audio favouring. I would love to read paali comics.
                        Imagine having artists draw suttas and place the BUddhas discussions
                        in them. It would make things amazing.

                        One thing i think that may be a bit far away now would be short
                        animations.

                        Just some thoughts on projects in the future.

                        A paali site would not attract too many viewers. Not like a Latin or
                        Sanskrit site of the same type. It would make it easier to afford
                        server renting which I would be happy to do in the future.

                        I think with a dedicated team of people a very informative site could
                        get going.

                        Who knows hey?
                      • crimian84000
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 14, 2007
                          I would think that a Arahat has shed those states so it does not
                          matter at that point.
                          The jhana are not going to be the same for everyone perhaps.
                          Similar in taste likely.

                          Jhana is tied also with siila and panna so i do not know if it is a
                          stict line.
                          Not all people have equal levels in all 3 regions
                          They are also subject to crossover.
                          To act in quietude and wise effort is not easy I beievve.
                          Why stuggle for samadhi even.
                          Does one only "get" Jhanas while in traditional meditation positions?
                          I would not think so.
                          Enough of my ramblings anyway hehe.
                        • thomaslaw03
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 17, 2007
                            I am concerned that if the wisdom-liberated Arahat does not attain even
                            the first form-level Jhana (DN II 70-1), then he aasavaa are destroyed
                            not by samadha but by ''seeing'' with wisdom. This is very different
                            from any meditative traditions in history.

                            Thomas Law

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 18, 2007
                              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johan wijaya <dhamma_joti@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Crimian,
                              >
                              > What u are thinking to do is actually very great...I'm also a
                              novice as a Pali learner and this group member as well.
                              > what I need to you consider first before you undergo that plan is
                              probably the flexibility of the link, or the work group later. what i
                              mean is that one can contact to another directly without having to
                              send messages to the whole group, unless the sender wants to post it.
                              Do u think it can do? I'm not good at computer anyway.

                              > Sukhi hotu,
                              >
                              > Johan.

                              Well Johan I would like to make it so we can have a chat room and
                              also linking people up on Messenger and such services.
                              I am also tinkering with bible merorization software.
                              They can be easily used for the Tipitaka.

                              So we would need different levels of learning depending on the time
                              and ability among other things.
                              Hopefully it can be a modulated study so one can pick and choose to
                              study 1 verse or so at a time and perform multiple tasks on that
                              verse.
                              Grammar, pronunciation, meaning and reflection (group and individual,
                              as well as memorization.

                              Surely there are other things that can also be done.

                              Yahoo groups will most likely only be 1 part of the project.
                              I am beginning to prepare for it now but it may be quite some time
                              before it has got enough to use well.

                              I do no want to do 1 lesson a week and strugle to get it online if
                              soemthing comes up.
                              Preparing about 3 months worth before hand and then adding to it
                              later would be the best approach.

                              Any ideas are welcome as well as anyone interested in helping.
                              Talk to me online at akaaliko.crimian@...
                              This would be a large project if it gets going and one deserving of
                              the teaching of the Noble One.

                              P.S. Does anyone here know of a page of statistics for the Tipitaka?
                              Verses, divisions, and words etc. Thanks all.
                            • rjkjp1
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 18, 2007
                                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "thomaslaw03" <thomaslaw03@...> wrote:

                                > I am concerned that if the wisdom-liberated Arahat does not attain
                                even
                                > the first form-level Jhana (DN II 70-1), then he aasavaa are
                                destroyed
                                > not by samadha but by ''seeing'' with wisdom. This is very
                                different
                                > from any meditative traditions in history.
                                >
                                > Thomas Law

                                Dear Thomas
                                Because the way of insight is unique to Dhamma.

                                In the Susima sutta the Buddha explained about sukkavipassaka
                                arhants - those who are liberated without having jhana.
                                Venerable Bodhi translates the commentary to this sutta:

                                i]Saratthappakasini (Atthakatha) :
                                Why is this said? For the purpose
                                of showing the arising of
                                knowledge thus even without concentration.
                                This is meant: "Susima, the path and fruit are not the issue of
                                concentration (samadhinissanda), nor the advantage brought about by
                                concentration (samadhi-anisamsa), nor the outcome of concentration
                                (samadhinipphatti). They are the issue of insight (vipassana), the
                                advantage brought about by insight, the outcome of insight.
                                Therefore, whether you understand or not, first comes knowledge of
                                the stability of the Dhamma, afterwards knowledge of Nibbana.
                                Spk-pt (tika): 'Even without concentration' (vina pi samadhim): even
                                without
                                previously established (concentration) that has acquired the
                                characteristic of serenity (samatha-lakkhanappattam); this is said
                                referring to one who takes the vehicle of insight
                                (vipassanayanika)..."[/i]

                                Robert
                              • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 19, 2007
                                  Hello Crimian,

                                  > Hopefully it can be a modulated study so one can pick and choose to
                                  > study 1 verse or so at a time and perform multiple tasks on that
                                  > verse.
                                  > Grammar, pronunciation, meaning and reflection (group and individual,
                                  > as well as memorization.

                                  You may find useful the material at
                                  http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali.htm

                                  Metta, Dmytro
                                • Michael Beisert
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 19, 2007
                                    Susima Sutta:

                                    Thanissaro Bhikkhu note:

                                    This discourse is sometimes cited as proof that a meditator can attain Awakening (final gnosis) without having practiced the jhanas, but a close reading shows that it does not support this assertion at all. The new arahants mentioned here do not deny that they have attained any of the four "form" jhanas that make up the definition of right concentration. Instead, they simply deny that they have acquired any psychic powers or that they remain in physical contact with the higher levels of concentration, "the formless states beyond forms." In this, their definition of "discernment-release" is no different from that given in AN 9.44<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.044.than.html> (compare this with the definitions for "bodily witness" and "released in both ways" given in AN 9.43<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.043.than.html> and AN 9.45<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.045.than.html>) Taken in the context of the Buddha's many other teachings on right concentration, there's every reason to believe that the new arahants mentioned in this discourse had reached at least the first jhana before attaining Awakening.

                                    Michael

                                  • thomaslaw03
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 21, 2007
                                      Michael,

                                      How about this sutta: DN II 70-71, and also the Chinese counterpart
                                      of Susima Sutta: SA 347 (T2 pp. 96a-98a).

                                      Thomas Law