Onderwerp: [Pali] AN2.1.1 Vajja Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 7:50 AM
      this is part 3.

      "Katama~nca, bhikkhave, samparaayika.m vajja.m?
      which / monks / belonging to the next world / fault
      "Which is the fault associating to the next world, monks?

      ------

      N: For the English, I think: which is a fault...

      --------

      'kaayaduccaritassa kho pana paapako dukkho vipaako abhisamparaaya.m,
      vaciiduccaritassa paapako dukkho vipaako abhisamparaaya.m,
      manoduccaritassa paapako dukkho vipaako abhisamparaaya.m.
      'The effect of unwholesome bodily action in the future (is) bad and
      unpleasant, the effect of unwholesome verbal action in the future (is)
      bad and unpleasant, the effect of unwholesome mental action in the
      future (is) bad and unpleasant.

      ----------

      N: In connection with kamma, vipaako can be translated as result.

      -------

      Aha~nceva kho pana kaayena duccarita.m careyya.m, vaacaaya duccarita.m
      careyya.m, manasaa duccarita.m careyya.m.
      Indeed, even if I would do unwholesome action with the body myself, if
      I would do unwholesome action with words myself, if I would do
      unwholesome with the mind myself.

      Ki~nca ta.m yaaha.m na kaayassa bhedaa para.m mara.naa apaaya.m
      duggati.m vinipaata.m niraya.m upapajjeyyan'ti.
      And what (is) that which I myself would not be reborn in a state of
      woe, a realm of misery, a place of suffering, a hell, after the
      dissolution of the body and after death?'

      * ki~nca = ki.m ca.
      - ki.m (pron) what?

      ---------

      N: Warder, p. 74: ki.m is used as indeclinable, to make the sentence
      interrogative. Would I myself not be reborn...?

      * yaaha.m = ya aha.m.

      ta.m ya aha.m: in PED ta.m can be used adverbially (under ta): then,
      therefore.

      ya, in PED: emphatic use is possible.

      ---------

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15 8:41 AM
        this is part 4.
        ----------
        In the Thai Pali version, there is: for; Ki~nca ta.m yenaaha.m
        instead of yaaha.m.

        the Co suggests: yena aha.m. by which I...

        There are different manuscripts and once Jim suggested to compare
        different manuscripts, at least five, when undertaking a translation.

        ----------
        So samparaayikassa vajjassa bhiito kaayaduccarita.m pahaaya
        kaayasucarita.m bhaaveti, vaciiduccarita.m pahaaya vaciisucarita.m
        bhaaveti, manoduccarita.m pahaaya manosucarita.m bhaaveti, suddha.m
        attaana.m pariharati.

        Y.P.: Frightened of the fault associating with the next world, he
        abandons
        unwholesome bodily action and pursues wholesome bodily action,
        abandons unwholesome verbal action and pursues wholesome verbal
        action, abandons unwholesome mental action and pursues wholesome
        mental action, (and) maintains himself purified.

        -------

        N: Suggestion: Frightened of the wrongs affecting life in the
        future... he maintains a purified conduct.

        -------

        Ida.m vuccati, bhikkhave, samparaayika.m vajja.m.
        this / is called / monks / belong to the next world / fault
        Monks, this is called the fault associating with the next world.

        "Imaani kho, bhikkhave, dve vajjaani.
        these / indeed / monks / two / faults
        "Indeed, these (are) the two faults, monks.

        Tasmaatiha, bhikkhave, eva.m sikkhitabba.m�
        from him-here / monks / thus / should be learned
        Monks, here, (it) should be learned from him thus:

        ------

        N: Therefore , monks, you should train yourself thus:

        ----------
        Y.P.:'di.t.thadhammikassa vajjassa bhaayissaama, samparaayikassa
        vajjassa
        bhaayissaama, vajjabhiiruno bhavissaama vajjabhayadassaavino'ti.
        of belonging to this world / of fault / (we) should be afraid / of
        belonging to the next world / of fault / (we) should be afraid / ??? /
        (we) should become / those who know fear of faults
        'We should fear fault associating with this world, we should fear
        fault associating with the next world, (as) those who know fear of
        faults we should become ???.'

        -------

        N: We should fear wrongs affecting this life, affecting a future
        life, we should become those who fear wrongs and see the danger of
        wrongs.

        (should become, bhaavissaama, is omitted here)

        Eva~nhi vo, bhikkhave, sikkhitabba.m.
        thus-surely / by you / monks / should be learned
        Surely, monks, (it) should be learned by you thus.

        --------

        Vajjabhiiruno, bhikkhave, vajjabhayadassaavino eta.m paa.tika`nkha.m
        ya.m parimuccissati sabbavajjehii"ti.
        ??? / monks / those who know fear of faults / this / is expected /
        which / will be released / from all faults
        Monks, it is expected that (as) those who know fear of faults, ???
        will be released from all faults."

        --------

        N: vajjabhayadassaavino: a bahubbiihi, with suffix -in, in the dative
        (Warder: p 122).

        For the person who fears wrongs, who sees the danger of wrongs, it is
        expected that he will be released from all faults.

        (eta.m...ya.m: .literally: this is expected which.) The Co. suggests
        that ya.m is a nipaata: an indeclinable (Warder: p. 355). Merely
        emphatic or with vague meaning.

        Remark: the Co. elaborates on purity of conduct: the ariyan disciple
        takes refuge (in the Triple Gem), observes five or ten precepts,
        observes the four purities of siila (parisuddhisiila: restraint
        according to the pa.timokkha, restraint of the sense faculties,
        purity of livelihood, siila regarding the four requisites). Further
        by the attainment of the ruupa-jhaanas and aruupa-jhaanas, by the the
        attainment of the four Paths.

        The noble disicple is free from faults by the four Paths and the four
        Fruitions.