SV: [Pali] Re: AN2.1.1 Vajja Sutta (1/1)

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 6, 2007
      --- Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> skrev:

      > Thanks also for the quote from Horner, I can see a
      > slight flavour of
      > sectarian views in it. I have no doubt about the
      > objectives of the
      > commentaries, the very reasons that they are being
      > composed and
      > written. However, I believe that the suttas, even
      > with their age, can
      > inspire better. We should also note that the
      > commentaries themselves
      > are not very recent too.

      On the other side, the composition of the Tipitaka was
      - as I've learnt after joining this group - modified
      as late as 1956, when the Milindapañha was added to it
      by the Sixth Council, after being regarded as
      post-canonical for more than two thousand years.

      And am I wrong, or didn't the Ven. Buddhaghosa confess
      himself to be a puthujjana? Did he ever claim to be
      perfect?

      I think Buddhism is fundamentally
      anti-fundamentalistic. Having views, and knowing them
      to be views, is all right; having views, and believing
      them to be objective facts, is not.

      And that includes the view that certain texts are
      infallible.

      Gunnar

      kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 30, 2007
        Dear friends,

        according to our plans, we will be having a sutta translation exercise
        next weekend. The exercise will go on as planned. We will be working
        through three suttas from AN2, namely,

        AN2.1.2 Padhaana Sutta
        AN2.1.3 Tapaniiya Sutta
        AN2.1.4 Atapaniiya Sutta

        Since these are three individual suttas, I will be posting them in
        three separate mails, rather than one. I shall look forward to your
        participation then.

        as planned, we begin with our translation exercise of AN2.