Re: [Pali] Re: Iddhipada Vibhanga Sutta

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3, 2007
      Thank you for sharing your throughts, hamduru.

      I will be doing the annotated of the Canki Sutta is due course, like a
      delicious cake I am waiting to feast on leisurely. It is a very beautiful
      Sutta.

      Maha Cattariisaka Sutta I have done but yet to upload to the Dharmafarer
      Website.

      It's good you shown concern for the environment, too, and also share what
      you know with others. We need more practising bhikshus to be with us.

      Most bhikshus I meet over the last 30-40 years are simply put "richer" than
      I am, but are not really interested in the True Dharma. So Buddhism has
      become one of the most anarchic religions arounds.

      The weapons of mass destruction we use may not be bombs, but they are more
      silently destructive: political correctness and the ignoble silence when we
      see suffering, injustice and ignorance around us.

      (Recently a dear blind lay Dharma teacher I know fell and died simply
      because people around him did not really take care for him well enough
      despite the teachings he has given. The worst part was we were advised not
      to speak of the "real" reason. I cannot fathom why: my tears welled up over
      such "face-saving callousness" we Buddhists are becoming famous for.)

      Many are forgetting the Buddha and the True Dharma.

      Still, we can work for at least stream-winning in this life itself: this is
      possible, and we only need to aspire and constantly prractice the perception
      of impermanence.

      The secret of awakening today lies in the simple and humble words of the
      Okkanti Vagga (S 25).

      May we spread the simple secret of awakening to those who have faith and
      ears.

      Namaste,

      Piya Tan

      On 3/3/07, joseph <jothiko@...> wrote:

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "Piya Tan"
      > <dharmafarer@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The passage refers to a balanced approach to meditation:
      >
      > Dear Piya
      >
      > In CankiSutta (m.n. 95) there is a description of the path:
      > (1)Dhammanijjhànakkhantiyà sati chando jàyati.
      > (2)Chandajàto ussahati. Ussahitvà tulayati. Tulayitvà pahadati.
      > (3)Pahitatto samàno kàyena ceva paramasaccaü sacchikaroti.
      > (4)Pa¤¤àya ca naü ativijjha passati
      >
      > seems to be about the (1-4, respectivly) IddhiPadaa.
      >
      > ussahi is `general application of effort' ( Tr. Bhikkhu Bodhi),
      > as it is connected with Sila it refers to 'aatapi, satima,
      > sampajano'.
      >
      > padahi is connected with the path, and the above three are now
      > 'SamaVayamo, SamaSati, SamaDitthi' as these three 'circle' the other
      > path limbs.
      > (mahacatarisakasutta m.n. 117)
      >
      > But we are concerned mainly with `tulayati'.
      > Wheighting (PED),
      > Scrutinizing (Bhikkhu Bodhi)
      > ` balance' is definitely right.
      >
      > These two Sutaa are framed in terms of `Samadhi' as that way their
      > audiences will not be able to reject it on traditional or formal
      > grounds.
      >
      > p.s. 1 tried my best about the spelling.
      >
      > p.s. 2 A Bhikkhu, south east of Lanka, mostly in forests,
      > Kataragama`s NyanaSala (!) is overseas for me.
      >
      > p.s, 3 but they are building a new airport in Tissa Maharama,
      > so all, elephants and bird sanctuaries, are doomed,
      > visit or file a protest or something
      > before this ancient pollution free piece of old Buddhism will get air
      > drop.
      >
      > Metta
      > Jothiko

    • joseph
      Message 2 of 25 , May 6, 2008
        Hello everyone
        after a long time, as they say here, I thought I owe you this:

        1- The most basic sitting meditation attitude `"Parimukha.m sati.m
        upa.t.thapetvaa".
        Usually rendered as `having established one point mind fullness' (on
        the upper lip) is not a bad technique
        But I fail to see how concentration on a point can be also a
        concentration on the breath,
        So we figure it means something like: `All around mindfulness' and
        even
        `Inquiry into all facets of one's reality'.
        May 2008 additional note:
        As I was this year in Na Uyana Aranna Senasana, in the teachings of
        Pa Auk Sayadow , the point is made clear:
        A concentration on a certain bodily point, it's sensations and that
        development is considered as four elements meditation' which is of
        the kayaanusati- the base of mindfulness of the body,
        But it is not `mindfulness of breathing' AnaPanaSati which belong to
        the same category of
        Observation of body phenomena..
        AnaPanaSati, is an attention to the concept of the breath. It is
        important to see it, as only so the
        Idea of the body of breath' the full unit of one aspiration, or one
        exhalation can be seen as a `body' , to be inquired into by
        mindfulness, as to it's beginning, continuation, end.
        Any lapse in attention may be a call for the healing investigation-
        process of Samatha.
        But `seeing the forest' the general conditioning of existence that
        our simple problem exemplifies
        Will open the way to understanding that all is conditioned,
        all is `anicca, Dhuka, Anatta.
        That we are caught up in Samsara, this is awakening.
        jothiko
        In that context `PacchaPura' = `back and front' of the body,
        As particular investigations are made into `dead spots' in a more
        detailed way
        Than meant by `Parimukha.m" ='all around'.

        May 2008 additional note:
        PacchaPura is also the reastablidhment of the former situation, the
        way it was before.
        (this one is im debt to Gampaha PemaSiri MahaThera of Kanduboda.)
        In the Parajika explanation of the PatiMokkha it is the return of
        the offender to lay life,
        No apperent harm to anyone…

        Here it seems to be the return to the inquiry based Satipatthanaa
        or `DhamaVicaya, or Vipasana (really, no harm)
        The simple wisdom that does not involve the miraculous achievement
        or the states that are beyond the senses that quajify as Samatha,
        and in our case particularily the IddhiPada
        jothiko