Re: AN2.1.1 Vajja Sutta (1/1)

  • rjkjp1
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 2, 2007
      Dear Yong Peng
      I find your comments about the ancient Commenatry worrying. If we
      wnat to understand the meaning of the suttas then reliance on
      ATTHAKATHA ( consider the meaning of the word) is essential .
      Even Mahayana people have renditions of the suttas (with some
      distortions of course)but the interpretation is at odds with the
      ancient tradition of Theravada where the texts and commentaries were
      preserved in PALI.
      Robert

      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 30, 2007
        Dear friends,

        according to our plans, we will be having a sutta translation exercise
        next weekend. The exercise will go on as planned. We will be working
        through three suttas from AN2, namely,

        AN2.1.2 Padhaana Sutta
        AN2.1.3 Tapaniiya Sutta
        AN2.1.4 Atapaniiya Sutta

        Since these are three individual suttas, I will be posting them in
        three separate mails, rather than one. I shall look forward to your
        participation then.

        as planned, we begin with our translation exercise of AN2.