Re: AN2.1.1 Vajja Sutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 2, 2007

      thanks again. While the commentary is a good source for understanding
      the Buddha's words, a large portion of the suttas can be read and
      understood without the aid of the commentary. Therefore, I do not
      favor incorporating the commentary in the sutta. The commentary, at
      the very best, can only be a secondary source for Buddha's teachings.

      I think every sutta presents a fountain of knowledge, a chart for
      discoveries, and we should preserve its original form as much as
      possible so that each individual can then make the discovery for him
      or herself. In this way, the sutta and the commentary (or the
      commentator) each has its place and role.

      The commentary says "dukanipaatassa pa.thame vajjaaniiti dosaa
      aparaadhaa": in the first of Dukanipaata, vajjaani = dosaa aparaadhaa.
      We will take note of this whenever we come across 'vajja' in the first
      five vaggas.

      Thanks also for your expansion on 'kamma'.

      > I understand 'vajja' not just to refer to something severe,
      > but misdeeds and wrongdoings in general. In the perspective
      > of this sutta, we may infer 'vajja' to mean "evil deeds",
      > but I think the word has a wider and more general usage.

      N: I looked at the Co: vajjaaniiti dosaa aparaadhaa. Dosa is here from
      another stem than dosa meaning illwill. It means corruption,
      depravity, fault etc. Vajja has a wide sense as you say. Aparaadha:
      sin, fault, offense. I think, considering the heavy punishments, that
      fault is too weak. We could chose: offense, corruption, depravity.
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 30, 2007

        according to our plans, we will be having a sutta translation exercise
        next weekend. The exercise will go on as planned. We will be working
        through three suttas from AN2, namely,

        AN2.1.2 Padhaana Sutta
        AN2.1.3 Tapaniiya Sutta
        AN2.1.4 Atapaniiya Sutta

        Since these are three individual suttas, I will be posting them in
        three separate mails, rather than one. I shall look forward to your
        participation then.

        as planned, we begin with our translation exercise of AN2.