[Pali] AN2.1.1 Vajja Sutta (1/1) [no 1]

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18 7:23 AM
      Dear Yong Peng.
      this is only a small part I did. I call it part 1.

      ---------
      Eva.m me suta.m� eka.m samaya.m bhagavaa saavatthiya.m viharati
      jetavane anaathapi.n.dikassa aaraame.
      thus / by me / heard / one / time / Blessed One / in Saavatthi /
      dwells / in Jetavana / of Anathapindika / in monastery
      Thus have I heard: Once, the Blessed One lives in Anathapindika
      Monastery, in Jeta Grove, in Savatthi.

      --------

      N: viharati: he was staying. (lives suggests a more permanent residence)

      ------

      tatra kho bhagavaa bhikkhuu aamantesi� "bhikkhavo"ti.
      there / then / Blessed One / monks / addressed / monks
      There and then, the Blessed One addressed the monks, "Monks".

      -------

      N: tatra kho: Kho seems here: indeed, a word we often need not
      translate. Then... �Then and there� seems very strong

      "Dvemaani, bhikkhave, vajjaani.
      ??? / monks / faults
      "Monks, ??? faults.
      --------

      N: dvemaani: neutral plural to vajjaani. The -me ending we find with
      numerals and me is from ime (masc) : these (sing: aya.m), and neutre
      pl: imaani. Thus it means: these two faults.
      ----------
      Katamaani dve?
      which / two
      Which are the two?

      * katama (adj/pron) which?
      * dvi (num) two.

      Di.t.thadhammika~nca vajja.m samparaayika~nca vajja.m.
      belonging to this world-and / fault / belonging to the next world-and
      / fault
      Fault associating with this world and fault associating with the next
      world.

      ------

      N: PTS: which has result in this life/next life.

      ---------