SV: [Pali] Re: Nouns with identical singular and plural

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2007
      Dear Ole,

      In keeping with Aggava.msa's scheme, wouldn't "vana" or "saali" be
      classified as "jaatyaapekkhekavacana.m" rather than
      as "samudaayaapekkhekavacana.m" ? I take "jaati" in the sense of
      class or genus but admittedly I'm unclear about this term which I
      have seen grouped with gu.na, dabba, and kriyaa. I believe four of
      the five kinds of singulars mentioned in the Saddaniiti refer to
      collections of two or more things. Thanks for your Vaakyapadiya
      reference which I did see but the Sanskrit text is much too difficult
      for me to comprehend with what little I know. I'm certainy interested
      in what the Sanskrit grammarians and philosophers have to say about
      such things and I did have a look at Paa.n I 2.58 & 1.4.21-2 and the
      comments of the Kaa"sikaav.rtti, Haridatta, and Jinendrabuddhi.
      There's lots to study up on!

      Best wishes,
      Jim

      << Dear Jim,

      This is an interesting passage. The idea that certain terms denote a
      samudaaya of things, like vana 'forest' or saali denoting a
      collection of trees or rice grains, can be traced to the Sanskrit
      grammarians and philosophy of Sanskrit grammar. Aggavamsa mentions
      the akkharacintaka in the passage to which you refer. This generally
      means the Sanskrit grammarians. See, for instance, Bhartrhari's
      Vaakyapadiiya II 155-56.

      Best wishes,
      Ole Pind >>