Plan 2007

    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 10, 2007

      I now present to you the plan I have for 2007.

      Pali grammar

      I like to make 2007 "Back to the Basics" year. Our main emphasis shall
      be on Pali grammar, as outline below:

      (1) The New Pali Course Part I

      I am currently working through the exercises myself, and checking my
      answers with those Florent had posted to the group. I have provided
      the HTML version of the book, so that those who cannot obtain a
      hardcopy can still study the book. The HTML version also contains
      corrections of minor printing errors I found in the book. In addition,
      I am also compiling a study guide as I go through the exercises. This
      study guide is a reference based directly on the contents of the book.
      It will be an extra tool for anyone who come along later, and decide
      to study the book.

      Florent's posted solutions are available in the group's archive,
      compilations are available here: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/#E
      HTML version of the book:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali1.00a.cdv
      Study guide: http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide1.pdf

      I am currently going through Exercise 18, and hope to complete the
      book in April.

      (2) Introduction to Pali (Warder's)

      After finishing The New Pali Course 1, I will start on Warder's. It is
      the first Pali text I bought about 10 years ago, but have never really
      get to it. Due to the sheer volume of the book, I do not intend to go
      through it entirely in one run. Again, I will not be posting answers
      to the group. Rather, I will be checking answers with those John Kelly
      and Alan McClure had posted previously. However, I will post schedules
      of my progress so that anyone interested can still read the book
      together, and discuss any problems encountered. More details will be
      posted in April.

      This book is published by PTS and can be purchased online from
      http://www.palitext.com/

      I also plan to compile an ultimate study guide based on this book,
      which will also incorporate information I have gathered from books we
      covered previously!

      (3) The New Pali Course Part II

      Probably, the new materials to be posted to the group this year will
      be mainly the solutions for The New Pali Course 2. Florent and I will
      be working through the exercises together, and we will share the load
      equally. If things go well, we will be able to post the first set of
      answers in July.

      Translation exercises

      Although we are spending more time on Pali grammar this year, I hope
      to get AN2 translation under way too. Afterall, reading the suttas in
      Pali is the ultimate goal for learning the language. I have set aside
      a few dates to work on AN2. Although it is just three days, I believe
      it is sufficient for the year, given the busy schedule we already
      have. The dates are: FEB 17, JUL 7 and NOV 17. These dates are subject
      to changes.

      Web resources

      Tipitaka Network will get a few minor changes this year. In
      particular, the links page will be renamed bookmarks, and get a
      facelift. I also aim to finish reformatting all the Pali texts and
      solutions to get in line with the format of Pali Synthesis. The
      revamping of the major sections shall be completed this year too.

      I hope to compile the definitions of dhamma posted by Nina as soon as
      possible. I will generate more word lists for Pali Scope, which will
      eventually revive our Pali Word by Word exercises. This is what I will
      focus on at the Web end.

      I will also go through the message archive to pick up sutta
      translations posted by others earlier, and link them from
      Tipitaka.net. In addition to listing the Tipitaka's contents, this
      will form part of work for Sutta Spectra this year.

      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 4, 2007

        I like to thank everyone who have responded to all questions posted
        for this group reading. Thank you for making the study easier. I am
        glad to have completed the first 16 lessons this time, and hope to
        continue with the book later next year.