Re: [Pali] Accharaasanighaatavaggo question

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2007
      Dear Claus,

      For an in-depth study, you might like to read the article: "Radiant Mind" at

      http://pali.house.googlepages.com/psychologyofbuddhism

      Piya

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
        Dear Claus.
        I read this sutta (AN I.51-52) with Jim and Suan. It is suitable
        you bring it up, since this is the thread on Anguttara Nikaya we also
        followed with Yong Peng.
        I read commentary and tiika (very worth while), and give you part of
        the co. below. Indeed it is about balavaa vipassanaa, which is a
        higher stage, I believe the first principle stage (mahaa). Then there
        can be awareness in any circumstance or at any place or time. It is
        one of my favorites.
        The taru.na are the first three beginning stages.
        Nina.
        Op 26-jan-2007, om 17:42 heeft claus10mander het volgende geschreven:

        > lines from the Accharaasanighaatavaggo.
        -------------------
        yathaabhuuta.m pajaanaatiiti
        ``evamida.m bhava"ngacitta.m aagantukehi upakkilesehi vippamutta.m
        hoti,
        eva.m upakkili.t.tha''nti yathaasabhaavato jaanaati.

        N: He understands as it really is: namely, in as far as he knows ,
        that this is indeed the life-continuum that is not freed from
        uncoming defilements; this is indeed defiled, thus, in as far as he
        knows the state of this as it really is.

        cittabhaavanaa
        atthiiti citta.t.thiti cittapariggaho atthi, atthibhaaveneva
        ``atthii''ti
        vadaamiiti dasseti. imasmi.m sutte balavavipassanaa kathitaa. keci
        taru.navipassanaati vadanti.

        N: There is mental development, namely, there is mental stability,
        acquirement (of wisdom): there is thus development, as he explains
        with the words, �there is, I say�. In this discourse insight as power
        has been spoken of. Some say that it is tender insight.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
          Dear Nina and Claus,

          thanks, Nina. Yes, all our discussion on AN1 can be followed from this
          page: http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/ekaka_nipata

          I hope to start AN2 this month. I hope to finalise the plans for this
          year in the next few days, and post it to everyone.

          It is suitable you bring it up, since this is the thread on Anguttara
          Nikaya we also followed with Yong Peng.
        • claus10mander
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
            Dear Nina and all,

            Thank you Nina for your help.

            It has taken time (sorry, I can only do this in my free time) to try
            to read from the commentary but what you write about the two kinds of
            Vipassana mentioned here is still not clear to me:
            You translate – and I agree:
            << In this discourse insight as power has been spoken of. Some say
            that it is tender insight.>>

            But does that mean that some CALL it balavaa vipassanaa, and others
            taru.na and just call or name it different or:
            do they DISAGREE in what the text is about and say it is about two
            different kinds of Vipassana.
            This is the meaning that I get from your mention:
            << Indeed it is about balavaa vipassanaa, which is a
            higher stage, I believe the first principle stage (mahaa). Then there
            can be awareness in any circumstance or at any place or time. It is
            one of my favorites. The taru.na are the first three beginning
            stages.>>
            but even if it is so – what do the three beginning stages mean and
            what the higher stage. What text or mention do you refere to?

            Thanks again!
            Claus

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2007
              Op 12-feb-2007, om 18:04 heeft claus10mander het volgende geschreven:
              to read from the commentary but what you write about the two kinds of
              Vipassana mentioned here is still not clear to me:
              You translate � and I agree:
              << In this discourse insight as power has been spoken of. Some say
              that it is tender insight.>>

              ----------
              N: Some say: keci: this usually refer to other teachers. Some
              teachers think it is tender insight: this is not another kind of
              vipassana, but here is reference to a beginning stage, whereas balava
              refers to pincipal insight, insight that has been developed more.
              Sometimes there are different opinions and the commentaries
              faithfully mention these. These are not really disagreements.
              About the stages of insight: Patisambhidamagga and Visuddhimagga. If
              you like I can look up the relevant passages.

            • claus10mander
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 14, 2007
                dear Nina,

                thanks for clearing this up - it was what I thought it should be.
                I can try to locate further text in the Visuddhimagga myself, I will
                ask you if case I am not successful!
                Thanks again
                Claus