Re: [Pali] contemplating on the four foundations of mindfulness

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
      Sadhu, Lennart,

      Drop by drop to Dharma pot is filled: may more people be inspired by the
      Dharma for more peace here and hereafter.

      However, perhaps, you mean that Luther was a "Neumann" of the Christians :)

      Piya Tan

      On 1/6/07, lenni_lop <lenni_lop@...> wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > During the holy-day :-) season i set up this little site, for those of
      > you who like to enjoy a contemplative session with the
      > Maha-Satipatthana Sutta:
      >
      > http://satipatthana.nibbanam.com/
      >
      > Initially, this was based on another little project, where my wife and
      > I wanted to make Karl Eugen Neumann's Dhammapada available for the
      > community:
      >
      > http://wahrheitspfad.ken.nibbanam.com/
      >
      > If you don't know anything about "Karl Eugen Neumann" - the German
      > Buddhist who is sometimes called "Buddhist Luther" because of his
      > beautiful and ground-breaking translations of the Tipitaka into German
      > - you can read about his life here too:
      >
      > http://ken.nibbanam.com/
      >
      > with mettâ,
      >
      > Lennart

    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
        --- lenni_lop <lenni_lop@...> skrev:

        > If you don't know anything about "Karl Eugen
        > Neumann" - the German
        > Buddhist who is sometimes called "Buddhist Luther"
        > because of his
        > beautiful and ground-breaking translations of the
        > Tipitaka into German
        > - you can read about his life here too:
        >
        > http://ken.nibbanam.com/

        Very interesting - but whether he was "the first
        translator of large parts of the Pali Canon of
        buddhist scriptures from the original Pali into a
        European language" is a matter of definitions.
        Fausbölls translations of the Dhammapada into Latin,
        and of the Suttanipaata into English, must be earlier,
        and Max Müller's project "Sacred Books of the East"
        was initiated in 1879, about a decade before Neumann's
        first translations from Pali.

        He probably was the first one to make translations
        directly from Pali into German, though, and his
        version of the Majjhima is more straightforward than
        Mrs. Horners English one - "Entleerung von Kot und
        Harn" instead of "obeying the calls of nature..."

        Gunnar

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • lenni_lop
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
          Dear Gunnar,

          Well, that article is more or less simply a mirror of a Wikipedia
          article. However, Karl Eugen Neumann - as far as i know - was the
          first one to create the largest coherent translation of a bulk of
          important Tipitaka books (Dhammapada, Theragatha, Therigatha,
          Suttanipata, MN, DN and lots of ANs and SNs in his footnotes -
          unfortunately his life was short but Hellmuth Hecker did a marvelous
          job in putting together a large biography of his genuine Buddhist
          life. It seems then, that he wasn't only a "Christian theologist" or
          "Indologist" who simply translated out of curiosity or scientific
          criticism - but he really tried to live according to the spirit and
          the letter of the Buddhas teachings .. and that even as early as 1890)

          Hellmuth Hecker even tried to complete Neumanns translation scheme in
          using KEN's vocabulary to produce a translation of Peta- and
          Vimanavatthu as well as Itivuttaka...but it has not the "feel" which
          you get when you read Neumann - his translation read a little bit like
          Hermann Hesses - who was himself heavily influenced by Neumann's
          translations... etc. etc. :-)

          best wishes,

          Lennart

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar G�llmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:

          > --- lenni_lop <lenni_lop@...> skrev:
          >
          > > If you don't know anything about "Karl Eugen
          > > Neumann" - the German
          > > Buddhist who is sometimes called "Buddhist Luther"
          > > because of his
          > > beautiful and ground-breaking translations of the
          > > Tipitaka into German
          > > - you can read about his life here too:
          > >
          > > http://ken.nibbanam.com/
          >
          > Very interesting - but whether he was "the first
          > translator of large parts of the Pali Canon of
          > buddhist scriptures from the original Pali into a
          > European language" is a matter of definitions.
          > Fausb�lls translations of the Dhammapada into Latin,
          > and of the Suttanipaata into English, must be earlier,
          > and Max M�ller's project "Sacred Books of the East"
          > was initiated in 1879, about a decade before Neumann's
          > first translations from Pali.
          >
          > He probably was the first one to make translations
          > directly from Pali into German, though, and his
          > version of the Majjhima is more straightforward than
          > Mrs. Horners English one - "Entleerung von Kot und
          > Harn" instead of "obeying the calls of nature..."
          >
          > Gunnar

          > Flyger tiden iv�g? F�nga dagen med Yahoo! Mails inbyggda
          > kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. F� den
          p�: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

        • lenni_lop
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2007
            Dear Piya,

            :-) Sadhu! Thanks for correcting my view on this matter :-) Really
            enjoyed your comment...

            You may have already noted ... not much work: i simply copied the
            whole project and set up a contemplation page for the Metta-Sutta too
            - its too important and a nice topic for a silent moment's reflection

            http://metta.nibbanam.com

            Lennart