Sanskrit & Pali

  • keren_arbel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
      Dear All,

      I would be happy to hear your knowledgeable opinion about "tracking" a
      Pali word from the Sanskrit one for understanding it meaning better.
      I see this method quite often in books and articles. The author try to
      understand the Pali word better by going to the Sanskrit verb or word.
      But since Pali might be a vencular language closly connected to Vedic
      rather than classical Sanskrit (and it meanings in the dictionary),
      and the unknown fact whether the Buddha new sanskrit at all, what is
      the significance of going to the Sanskrit?

      Thanks for any thoughts and ideas,
      Keren.
    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
        Dear Keren,

        > I would be happy to hear your knowledgeable opinion about "tracking" a
        > Pali word from the Sanskrit one for understanding it meaning better.
        > I see this method quite often in books and articles. The author try to
        > understand the Pali word better by going to the Sanskrit verb or word.
        > But since Pali might be a vencular language closly connected to Vedic
        > rather than classical Sanskrit (and it meanings in the dictionary),
        > and the unknown fact whether the Buddha new sanskrit at all, what is
        > the significance of going to the Sanskrit?

        Sanskrit is an attempt to revive ancient Vedic.

        Similarly, one can try to reconstruct Ancient Indian equivalents of Pali
        words:

        http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=23156&view=findpost&p=357480

        It helps to understand the etymology.

        And the Sanskrit dictionaries are much more developed than Pali ones.

        Metta, Dmytro

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2007
          Sukhi hotu.

          Perhaps someone familiar with the Vinaya could help in this interesting case
          here:

          In *the Bahiya Sutta* (U 1.10) and *the Acela Kassapa Sutta* (S 12.17), the
          Buddha is asked thrice to teach the Dharma, but each time, he replies, "*This
          is not the proper time. We have entered amongst houses*."

          Buddhaghosa says that this is to gain respect from Acela Kassapa and also so
          that his knowledge would ripen (SA 2:35).
          Dhammapala, however, is more convincing in his detailed discussion, one
          explanation of which is that Bahiya is very excited on meeting the Buddha,
          who thrice says no mainly to calm him down before teaching Dharma (UA 90).

          What is interesting is that there is *no comment whatsoever (am I wrong
          here?) on the actual statement*, "*We are have entered amongst houses*"
          (antara,ghare pavi.t.thamha). This phrase and its variations are commonly
          found in the Vinaya esp the Sekhiya, and also in the Suttas.

          However, I have been unable to locate any Vinaya rule to the effect that a
          monk should not teach Dharma when "amongst houses," meaning with (1) not to
          teach Dharma in the streets, or (2) not to teach Dharma when on almsround,
          or both. Or, is there no such rule?

          Has anyone any insight on this interesting topic: I have also not found any
          teacher or scholar referring to his matter.

          This is part of my introductory notes to the Acela Kassapa Sutta
          translation.

          Metta and mudita,

          Piya Tan

          *The Minding Centre
          *Blk 644 Bukit Batok Central, #01-68 (2nd flr),
          [near Bukit Batok MRT/Interchange] Singapore 650644.
          *Minding Centre Website:
          http://mindcentre.googlepages.com<http://minding.centre.googlepages.com/>
          *
          Dharmafarer website: http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com
          HP: 8211 0879; Tel: 6569 5205

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2007
            Dear Karen,

            If u hear sanskrit and pali, u would see that they are very closely realted
            in the vocabulary and the grammar. pali would sound like a rustic or common
            man's version of sanskrit - smoothened out, so to speak. One grew up hearing
            it spoken, so one spoke it. It would not be wrong to say that pali is more a
            dialect of sankrit than an independent language (no wonder pali has no
            script of its own).

            compare some words:

            *sanskrit - pali - english*
            cakshu - cakkhu - eye
            purve - pubbe - before
            dharma - dhamma - prefer not to translate
            nirvana - nibbana - prefer not to translate
            utpadan - uppadan - produce (noun)
            bhikshu - bhikkhu - monk
            soka - shoka - mourning (the Sh_ sound replaced by S_)
            the list is virtually endless.

            the simpler words like 'Buddha' remain unchanged.

            the half 'r' as in dharma or purva, is smothened out in pali by doubling the
            following letter as in dhamma and pubbe ('v' usually changes to 'b' in the
            process).

            So it's only natural to revert to Sanskrit to understand Pali better.
            Secondly, there are plenty of schools teaching sanskrit as a second / third
            language and arts colleges offer graduation in Sanskrit literature. So, u'll
            find plenty of people knowing Sanskrit, but not so with Pali. Therefore,
            learning pali thru sanskrit comes very naturally to them. To use an analogy
            -- Sanskrit is classical music and Pali a folk song.

            Whether Buddha knew sanskrit - I have no doubt that he did. He was a prince
            and his father must have undoubtedly provided the best education
            befitting royalty, with separate tutors for sanskrit, literature, music, the
            shashtras, combat training in swordplay, archery, etc., economics
            (artha-shaashtra), governance, diplomacy and so an as was customary.

            Metta.

            On 1/6/07, keren_arbel <keren_arbel@...> wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I would be happy to hear your knowledgeable opinion about "tracking" a
            > Pali word from the Sanskrit one for understanding it meaning better.
            > I see this method quite often in books and articles. The author try to
            > understand the Pali word better by going to the Sanskrit verb or word.
            > But since Pali might be a vencular language closly connected to Vedic
            > rather than classical Sanskrit (and it meanings in the dictionary),
            > and the unknown fact whether the Buddha new sanskrit at all, what is
            > the significance of going to the Sanskrit?
            >
            > Thanks for any thoughts and ideas,
            > Keren.

          • P G Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 24, 2007
              *Correction*:

              Under "compare some words:" please read --

              soka - shoka - mourning (the Sh_ sound replaced by S_)
              AS
              shoka - soka - mourning (the Sh_ sound replaced by S_)

              sorry for the error.

              On 1/24/07, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

              > Dear Karen,
              >
              > If u hear sanskrit and pali, u would see that they are very closely
              > realted in the vocabulary and the grammar. pali would sound like a rustic or
              > common man's version of sanskrit - smoothened out, so to speak. One grew up
              > hearing it spoken, so one spoke it. It would not be wrong to say that pali
              > is more a dialect of sankrit than an independent language (no wonder pali
              > has no script of its own).
              >
              > compare some words:
              >
              > *sanskrit - pali - english*
              > cakshu - cakkhu - eye
              > purve - pubbe - before
              > dharma - dhamma - prefer not to translate
              > nirvana - nibbana - prefer not to translate
              > utpadan - uppadan - produce (noun)
              > bhikshu - bhikkhu - monk
              > soka - shoka - mourning (the Sh_ sound replaced by S_)
              > the list is virtually endless.
              >
              > the simpler words like 'Buddha' remain unchanged.
              >
              > the half 'r' as in dharma or purva, is smothened out in pali by doubling
              > the following letter as in dhamma and pubbe ('v' usually changes to 'b' in
              > the process).
              >
              > So it's only natural to revert to Sanskrit to understand Pali better.
              > Secondly, there are plenty of schools teaching sanskrit as a second / third
              > language and arts colleges offer graduation in Sanskrit literature. So, u'll
              > find plenty of people knowing Sanskrit, but not so with Pali. Therefore,
              > learning pali thru sanskrit comes very naturally to them. To use an analogy
              > -- Sanskrit is classical music and Pali a folk song.
              >
              > Whether Buddha knew sanskrit - I have no doubt that he did. He was a
              > prince and his father must have undoubtedly provided the best education
              > befitting royalty, with separate tutors for sanskrit, literature, music, the
              > shashtras, combat training in swordplay, archery, etc., economics
              > (artha-shaashtra), governance, diplomacy and so an as was customary.
              >
              > Metta.
              >

              > On 1/6/07, keren_arbel <keren_arbel@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear All,
              > >
              > > I would be happy to hear your knowledgeable opinion about "tracking" a
              > > Pali word from the Sanskrit one for understanding it meaning better.
              > > I see this method quite often in books and articles. The author try to
              > > understand the Pali word better by going to the Sanskrit verb or word.
              > > But since Pali might be a vencular language closly connected to Vedic
              > > rather than classical Sanskrit (and it meanings in the dictionary),
              > > and the unknown fact whether the Buddha new sanskrit at all, what is
              > > the significance of going to the Sanskrit?
              > >
              > > Thanks for any thoughts and ideas,
              > > Keren.

            • Ole Holten Pind
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2007
                Dear Piya Tan,

                You find an excellent explanation at Saratthapakasini vol. II 34. According
                to the atthakatha, the purpose is to generate respect by not engaging in
                verbose conversation while on alms round. SImilar episodes are found
                elsewhere in the canon. It would be interesting to investigate the cultural
                background of the theme of answering thrice before getting an answer or
                asking the samequestion three times in a row and receiving the same answer
                each time.

                Regards,
                Ole Holten Pind

                _____

[...]

                http://mindcentre. <http://mindcentre.googlepages.com>
                googlepages.com<http://minding. <http://minding.centre.googlepages.com/>
                centre.googlepages.com/>
                *
                Dharmafarer website: http://dharmafarer.
                <http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com> googlepages.com
                HP: 8211 0879; Tel: 6569 5205

              • johnny pruitt
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 24, 2007
                  Dear Piya Tan
                  Is Sukhi Hotu commonly used as a greeting similar to hello?
                  Mettacitena
                  Johnny

                  Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote: Sukhi hotu.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 29, 2007
                    Dear Johnny,

                    Yes, "sukhi hotu" is a greeting, often "sukhi" (be happy!) for short. This
                    is singular 2nd person.
                    Use "sukhi hontu" when speaking to more than one person: "may you both/all
                    be happy!"

                    Sukhi hotu.

                    Piya

                    On 1/25/07, johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Piya Tan
                    > Is Sukhi Hotu commonly used as a greeting similar to hello?
                    > Mettacitena
                    > Johnny
                    >
                    > Piya Tan <dharmafarer@... <dharmafarer%40gmail.com>> wrote: Sukhi
                    > hotu.
                    >
                    > Perhaps someone familiar with the Vinaya could help in this interesting
                    > case
                    > here:
                    >
                    > In *the Bahiya Sutta* (U 1.10) and *the Acela Kassapa Sutta* (S 12.17),
                    > the
                    > Buddha is asked thrice to teach the Dharma, but each time, he replies,
                    > "*This
                    > is not the proper time. We have entered amongst houses*."
                    >
                    > Buddhaghosa says that this is to gain respect from Acela Kassapa and also
                    > so
                    > that his knowledge would ripen (SA 2:35).
                    > Dhammapala, however, is more convincing in his detailed discussion, one
                    > explanation of which is that Bahiya is very excited on meeting the Buddha,
                    > who thrice says no mainly to calm him down before teaching Dharma (UA 90).
                    >
                    > What is interesting is that there is *no comment whatsoever (am I wrong
                    > here?) on the actual statement*, "*We are have entered amongst houses*"
                    > (antara,ghare pavi.t.thamha). This phrase and its variations are commonly
                    > found in the Vinaya esp the Sekhiya, and also in the Suttas.
                    >
                    > However, I have been unable to locate any Vinaya rule to the effect that a
                    > monk should not teach Dharma when "amongst houses," meaning with (1) not
                    > teach Dharma in the streets, or (2) not to teach Dharma when on almsround,
                    > or both. Or, is there no such rule?
                    >
                    > Has anyone any insight on this interesting topic: I have also not found
                    > any
                    > teacher or scholar referring to his matter.
                    >
                    > This is part of my introductory notes to the Acela Kassapa Sutta
                    > translation.
                    >
                    > Metta and mudita,
                    >
                    > Piya Tan
                    >
                    > *The Minding Centre
                    > *Blk 644 Bukit Batok Central, #01-68 (2nd flr),
                    > [near Bukit Batok MRT/Interchange] Singapore 650644.
                    > *Minding Centre Website:
                    > http://mindcentre.googlepages.com<http://minding.centre.googlepages.com/>
                    > *
                    > Dharmafarer website: http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com
                    > HP: 8211 0879; Tel: 6569 5205

                  • johnny pruitt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
                      Dear Piya Tan
                      Thanks so much for your explaination. Sorry all, for constantly asking questions that are of topic. This really helps. I was looking for a greeting in pali but could not find one except for "svagaato hotu" which I believe means welcome.
                      Do you guys think that Pali might have a form for the Sanskrit "namaste"? it sounds like the verb namasati.

                      mettacittena
                      Johnny Pruitt
                      Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote: Dear Johnny,

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007