Pali wikipedia

  • Eukesh Ranjit
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
      Wandanaa all,
      I found the link to this group in Pali wikipedia (online free to edit
      and free to use encyclopedia in Pali language). Currently, I am the
      administrator there. However, the wikipedia is not doing well due to
      lack of articles in the language. The lack of articles might have been
      due to lack of knowledge of Devnagari amongst users. I can write in
      Devnagari and have enabled a javascript based auto-conversion Devnagari
      code there. If someone is interested in developing the wikipedia,
      please contact me.
      Eukesh Ranjit
      (P.S.: I dont know much of Pali and can understand the very basics only)
    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
        --- Eukesh Ranjit <eukeshranjit@...> skrev:

        > Wandanaa all,
        > I found the link to this group in Pali wikipedia
        > (online free to edit
        > and free to use encyclopedia in Pali language).
        > Currently, I am the
        > administrator there. However, the wikipedia is not
        > doing well due to
        > lack of articles in the language. The lack of
        > articles might have been
        > due to lack of knowledge of Devnagari amongst users.

        Why Devanagari? As far as I know, Devanagari has been
        used for Pali only for a very short time, and only
        locally in India. Devanagari became standard script
        for Sanskrit in the 18th century, not earlier, and
        Pali still doesn't have a standard script. Sinhalese,
        Burmese and Thai scripts (perhaps Khmer script as
        well) are probably more used than Devanagari for Pali,
        but the only Pali script that is used more than
        locally may be Roman.

        I think the main problem for the Pali Wikipedia is the
        fact that very few people have an active writing
        capacity in Pali. For most of us it is an "input
        language", a language which we try to read and
        understand out of interest in the Pali texts, but not
        a language in which we are able to express ourselves
        freely.

        Gunnar

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • akoddsson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
          Ashoka used the Brahmi script in his inscriptions, which was usual in
          India at the time. Brahmi was probably originally invented to write
          Sanskrit and dialects older than Pali, but was no doubt used to write
          Pali in the Buddha's time (originally a Magadhi-dialect, I think).
          New finds from south India have pushed the dating of Brahmi back from
          Ashoka's time to the Buddha's, giving us every reason to believe that
          this was the Buddha's alphabet. There are some variations in the
          characters, which were variously used for rock-inscriptions, palm-
          leaf-writing, etc.. Macintosh has a Brahmi-font available, based on
          the forms in Ashoka's inscriptions. The alphabets of India, Burma,
          Tailand, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Tibet, etc. (most south-east Asian
          alphabets) all derive from Brahmi, which makes it the ideal alphabet
          for writing Pali, in my opinion, not to mention that Buddha himself
          would almost certainly have understood it. Anyway, that's my brief
          input on the script-issue. There are Wikipedia articles and various
          other items online about Brahmi, some showing the alphabet. I have
          seem the Macintosh Brahmi font, and it looks very nice :)

          A.K.Oddsson

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
            Dear Konrad,

            This is most interesting: that the Brahmi script and writing is available
            during the Buddha's time. We have names like Ga.naka Moggallaa.na, who was
            probably some sort of accountant, and maybe had written records his
            transactions, Generally, there is no clear reference to writing being used
            in religious matters.

            Traditionally, we are told that nothing was written down until perhaps
            Asoka's time, and certainly around the beginning of the Common Era in Sri
            Lanka for religio-political reasons.

            Could I have some sort of documented study in the statement tha Brahmi goes
            back to the Buddha's time and related matters?

            Thanks & Happy New Year.

            Piya Tan
            "Pali House" Singapore

            On 1/3/07, akoddsson <konrad_oddsson@...> wrote:

            > Ashoka used the Brahmi script in his inscriptions, which was usual in
            > India at the time. Brahmi was probably originally invented to write
            > Sanskrit and dialects older than Pali, but was no doubt used to write
            > Pali in the Buddha's time (originally a Magadhi-dialect, I think).
            > New finds from south India have pushed the dating of Brahmi back from
            > Ashoka's time to the Buddha's, giving us every reason to believe that
            > this was the Buddha's alphabet. There are some variations in the
            > characters, which were variously used for rock-inscriptions, palm-
            > leaf-writing, etc.. Macintosh has a Brahmi-font available, based on
            > the forms in Ashoka's inscriptions. The alphabets of India, Burma,
            > Tailand, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Tibet, etc. (most south-east Asian
            > alphabets) all derive from Brahmi, which makes it the ideal alphabet
            > for writing Pali, in my opinion, not to mention that Buddha himself
            > would almost certainly have understood it. Anyway, that's my brief
            > input on the script-issue. There are Wikipedia articles and various
            > other items online about Brahmi, some showing the alphabet. I have
            > seem the Macintosh Brahmi font, and it looks very nice :)
            >
            > A.K.Oddsson
            >
            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, Gunnar Gällmo
            > <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- Eukesh Ranjit <eukeshranjit@...> skrev:
            > >
            > > > Wandanaa all,
            > > > I found the link to this group in Pali wikipedia
            > > > (online free to edit
            > > > and free to use encyclopedia in Pali language).
            > > > Currently, I am the
            > > > administrator there. However, the wikipedia is not
            > > > doing well due to
            > > > lack of articles in the language. The lack of
            > > > articles might have been
            > > > due to lack of knowledge of Devnagari amongst users.
            > >
            > > Why Devanagari? As far as I know, Devanagari has been
            > > used for Pali only for a very short time, and only
            > > locally in India. Devanagari became standard script
            > > for Sanskrit in the 18th century, not earlier, and
            > > Pali still doesn't have a standard script. Sinhalese,
            > > Burmese and Thai scripts (perhaps Khmer script as
            > > well) are probably more used than Devanagari for Pali,
            > > but the only Pali script that is used more than
            > > locally may be Roman.
            > >
            > > I think the main problem for the Pali Wikipedia is the
            > > fact that very few people have an active writing
            > > capacity in Pali. For most of us it is an "input
            > > language", a language which we try to read and
            > > understand out of interest in the Pali texts, but not
            > > a language in which we are able to express ourselves
            > > freely.
            > >
            > > Gunnar

            > > Flyger tiden iväg? Fånga dagen med Yahoo! Mails inbyggda
            > > kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få
            > den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

          • Jacques Huynen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
              Hello Konrad,

              Would you have any precisions, and possibly
              references, to these discoveries in Southern India
              that would push back Brahmi syllabary up to he time of
              the Buddha ?

              Thanks,

              Jacques Huynen

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
                Dear Konrad,

                I would also like to know the references for your reply. Thanks.