Abbreviations from Thanissaro Bhikkhu

  • keren_arbel
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
      I am reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu book "the wings of awakening" and I
      don't know how to find his references in the PTS. What will be
      S.XLVIII.10? (p.141). How can I find his references in the Pali CD?

      Thanks,
      Happy New Year,
      Keren.
    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
        Hi Keren,

        > I am reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu book "the wings of awakening" and I
        > don't know how to find his references in the PTS. What will be
        > S.XLVIII.10? (p.141). How can I find his references in the Pali CD?

        Throught the Access to Insight website you can find the relevant section:
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/index.html#sn48

        and look up there the PTS reference:
        S v 197

        Metta,
        Dmytro
      • keren_arbel
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
          Dear Dmytro,

          Again, thank you so much!

          Happy New Year to you and everyone,
          With Metta,
          Keren.
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
            Keren,

            The abbreviations mean as follows

            S = Samyutta Nikaya (translated "The Connected Sayings" by Bhikkhu Bodhi)
            XLVIII = ch 48 of same
            10 = Sutta no 19

            This is a discourse on the Five Faculties. The PTS ed reference is
            S 5:197-199. (vol 5 pages 197-199).

            I'm surprised that awkward roman numerals are still being used when arabic
            numbers are much more easy to use. You may also find Thanissaro's
            translation needs getting used to as he tries to be technically correct, and
            sometimes it can be difficult to know what he is trying to convey. For
            example, he translates nibbaa.na as the "unbinding". Anyway, I find him all
            right as I am quite familiar with the Pali texts.

            I suppose there are at least two kinds of translations: those meant for the
            translators, and those meant for the reader.

            Under EPILEGOMENA in the Dharmafarer Website (
            http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com) you will find much of what you may want
            to know about "Textual Conventions." Then again do not feel discouraged by
            the technicalities: simply absorb what you need to, and let the rest come
            when they will.

            Happy New Year.

            Piya Tan

            On 12/26/06, keren_arbel <keren_arbel@...> wrote:

            > I am reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu book "the wings of awakening" and I
            > don't know how to find his references in the PTS. What will be
            > S.XLVIII.10? (p.141). How can I find his references in the Pali CD?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Happy New Year,
            > Keren.

          • keren_arbel
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
              Dear Piya Tan,

              Thank you very much, your website is such a valuable source for study!

              Happy New Year,
              May you and everyone will have a wonderful and peaceful year.