Re: [Pali] Origin of Pali and mother tongue of lord Budha

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
      Whoops meant to say pidgen language

      rasoolpuri <rasoolpuri@...> wrote: What is origin of Pali
      Is its origin is Magadhi or it is a pidgen language which was create
      by Budh scholars for writing of Lord Budha's education

      What was the mother tongue of lord Budha

    • thomaslaw03
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:

        > ... there is no secular use of Pali to speak of.

        I heard in Japan that a similar form of Pali is spoken in some area of
        India, but I am not sure whether it is true.

        Also, a group of people in Nepal claims that they belong to the same
        clan of the Buddha. I know this from the Buddhist Channel. Maybe their
        language is the same language of the Buddha.

        Thomas Law
      • Jacques Huynen
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2006
          There are 2 ethnic groups claiming descendance from
          the Buddha in Nepal: the Newars and a subgroup from
          them, namely the Sakyas; both speak - beside Nepali
          that is related to other contemporary Indian prakrits
          like Hindi - a sino-tibetan tonal language.

          With Metta

          --- thomaslaw03 <thomaslaw03@...> wrote:

          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar Gällmo
          > <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > ... there is no secular use of Pali to speak of.
          > >

          > I heard in Japan that a similar form of Pali is
          > spoken in some area of
          > India, but I am not sure whether it is true.
          >
          > Also, a group of people in Nepal claims that they
          > belong to the same
          > clan of the Buddha. I know this from the Buddhist
          > Channel. Maybe their
          > language is the same language of the Buddha.
          >
          > Thomas Law

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2006
            Hello Thomas,

            > Also, a group of people in Nepal claims that they belong to the same
            > clan of the Buddha. I know this from the Buddhist Channel. Maybe their
            > language is the same language of the Buddha.

            You probably mean the article
            http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=39,3056,0,0,1,0

            There's also a Newar Shakya (goldsmith) caste.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newar_Caste

            Metta, Dmytro
          • rasoolpuri
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2006
              Thanks all freinds for your help about origin of Pali and language
              ofLord Budha.

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> wrote:

              > I have always heard that it was a pigeon language put together by
              Buddhist scholars. I also have wondered how the accentuation sounded.
              Since some words look identical or very similar I wonder if the
              language had a pitch accent.