Re: [Pali] Origin of Pali and mother tongue of lord Budha

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
      Whoops meant to say pidgen language

      rasoolpuri <rasoolpuri@...> wrote: What is origin of Pali
      Is its origin is Magadhi or it is a pidgen language which was create
      by Budh scholars for writing of Lord Budha's education

      What was the mother tongue of lord Budha

    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
        Hello,

        > What is origin of Pali
        > Is its origin is Magadhi

        It's origin is Magadhi. Not Magadhi of Asokan edicts (third century
        b.c.), but the earlier Ardha-Magadhi.

        See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magadhi_Prakrit

        You can find an interesting discussion at:
        http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=21867

        > or it is a pidgen language which was create
        > by Budh scholars for writing of Lord Budha's education

        Pali evolved with time, and one can find in the Pali Canon the early
        stratas with archaic word forms, and the later stratas with stylized
        grammar. So scholars contributed to the evolution of Pali.

        It's interesting that the word forms that evolved later did not find
        their way in the earlier texts. For example, the later evolved form
        'kilesa' is not found in the Sutta-pitaka. In Sutta one can find only
        the early form 'upakkilesa'.

        > What was the mother tongue of lord Budha

        It was a language very similar to Pali.

        The language preserved in Jain texts, Aredha-Magadhi
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_Prakrit
        which was spoken in about the same area at the same time, is very
        similar to Pali.

        Metta, Dmytro
      • thomaslaw03
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:

          > ... there is no secular use of Pali to speak of.

          I heard in Japan that a similar form of Pali is spoken in some area of
          India, but I am not sure whether it is true.

          Also, a group of people in Nepal claims that they belong to the same
          clan of the Buddha. I know this from the Buddhist Channel. Maybe their
          language is the same language of the Buddha.

          Thomas Law
        • Jacques Huynen
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2006
            There are 2 ethnic groups claiming descendance from
            the Buddha in Nepal: the Newars and a subgroup from
            them, namely the Sakyas; both speak - beside Nepali
            that is related to other contemporary Indian prakrits
            like Hindi - a sino-tibetan tonal language.

            With Metta

            --- thomaslaw03 <thomaslaw03@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar Gällmo
            > <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > ... there is no secular use of Pali to speak of.
            > >

            > I heard in Japan that a similar form of Pali is
            > spoken in some area of
            > India, but I am not sure whether it is true.
            >
            > Also, a group of people in Nepal claims that they
            > belong to the same
            > clan of the Buddha. I know this from the Buddhist
            > Channel. Maybe their
            > language is the same language of the Buddha.
            >
            > Thomas Law

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2006
              Hello Thomas,

              > Also, a group of people in Nepal claims that they belong to the same
              > clan of the Buddha. I know this from the Buddhist Channel. Maybe their
              > language is the same language of the Buddha.

              You probably mean the article
              http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=39,3056,0,0,1,0

              There's also a Newar Shakya (goldsmith) caste.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newar_Caste

              Metta, Dmytro
            • rasoolpuri
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2006
                Thanks all freinds for your help about origin of Pali and language
                ofLord Budha.

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> wrote:

                > I have always heard that it was a pigeon language put together by
                Buddhist scholars. I also have wondered how the accentuation sounded.
                Since some words look identical or very similar I wonder if the
                language had a pitch accent.