Re: [Pali] 'Abandoning uncertainty' phrase

  • madan tandon
    Message 1 of 219 , Dec 10, 2006
      I would paraphrase the second half of the sentence as follows:

      " Having no confustion about the skillful menttal qualities"

      biloo_5

      Walter <walter@...> wrote: Hi group,

      While reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu's English translation of the
      Samannaphala Sutta from the Dhiga Nikaya with great interest,
      I came across the following sentence:

      "Abandoning uncertainty, he dwells having crossed over uncertainty,
      with no perplexity with regard to skillful mental qualities."

      I hope to hear an explanation or alternate translation of the
      second half of the sentence as it is not clear to me in its
      current form.

      Thanissaro's translation is online at Access to Insight:
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html

      Thanks a lot, and I wish you all success in your studies.

      - Walter

      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.