Re: [Pali] 'Abandoning uncertainty' phrase

  • P G Dave
    Message 1 of 219 , Dec 10, 2006
      Dear Walter,

      Here's Piya Tan's transalation of the sentence in question:

      "Abandoning spiritual doubt, he dwells having crossed over doubt, with no
      perplexity with regard to wholesome mental states. He cleanses his mind of
      doubt."

      "wholesome mental states" OR as Thanissara Bhikkh puts it, "skilful mental
      states" relates to the possibilty of the mind being capable of "right view"
      and beyond. With doubt relating to this
      possibility overcome, pursuit becomes one full of conviction.

      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.