Particles

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Hello group
      A while back I inquired into the meaning of some basic indeclinable particles. Namely: Kho, Eva, Pi and Hi. It was recomended that I look them up in the PTS Pali dictionary by Rhys Davis. I did this and this is what I came up with.
      Kho is said to be an emphatic affirmative particle. In sentences that simply make a statement, it usually means indeed or verily. In deductive responses it seems to have the meaning of so or then. As in the deduction Then he must have went to the school.
      Eva seems to be an exclusice particle in that it meeans only or just or surely.
      Pi seems to be the opposite of Eva thus it is an inclusive and means also, too. It also can mean even. The last meaning of Pi seems to be in allignment with the first two because in english when a person says Even the dog went. We mean to include the dog and exclamation.
      The only one I had a problem with was Hi. Sometimes it is said to convey the sense of because but at other times it is just an emphatic particle. Thus, is it just interchangeable with Kho?
      Also I believe I stumbled apon a passage in pali where someone expressed thier welcome to a visitor. The word was Svagato. Could this be used as a simple hello. Or is it simply restricted to welcome. Also might someone know of a word for good by? Maybe a form of the word namaste?Nammasti Nammasahi?

    • Jacques Huynen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
        Hello Johnny,

        I think that both "kho" and "hi" as emphatic can be
        translated by "for" as in "He ate right away, for he
        was very hungry. (=indeed he was very hungry...)

        Yours,

        J.Huynen
        --- johnny pruitt <mahasacham@...> wrote:

        > Hello group
        > A while back I inquired into the meaning of some
        > basic indeclinable particles. Namely: Kho, Eva, Pi
        > and Hi. It was recomended that I look them up in
        > the PTS Pali dictionary by Rhys Davis. I did this
        > and this is what I came up with.
        > Kho is said to be an emphatic affirmative particle.
        > In sentences that simply make a statement, it
        > usually means indeed or verily. In deductive
        > then. As in the deduction Then he must have went to
        > the school.
        > Eva seems to be an exclusice particle in that it
        > meeans only or just or surely.
        > Pi seems to be the opposite of Eva thus it is an
        > inclusive and means also, too. It also can mean
        > even. The last meaning of Pi seems to be in
        > allignment with the first two because in english
        > when a person says Even the dog went. We mean to
        > include the dog and exclamation.
        > The only one I had a problem with was Hi. Sometimes
        > it is said to convey the sense of because but at
        > other times it is just an emphatic particle. Thus,
        > is it just interchangeable with Kho?
        > Also I believe I stumbled apon a passage in pali
        > where someone expressed thier welcome to a visitor.
        > The word was Svagato. Could this be used as a simple
        > hello. Or is it simply restricted to welcome. Also
        > might someone know of a word for good by? Maybe a
        > form of the word namaste?Nammasti Nammasahi?

        > removed]

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited